Director - Teaching, Learning & Accountability
- Job Type
Polaris Tech Charter School - Director of Teaching, Learning & Accountability
Are you looking for an exciting new opportunity in education leadership? We invite to explore the position to oversee the instructional leadership of a new innovative charter school in the Lowcountry of South Carolina. Imagine a school where each student builds foundational skills to pursue a chosen path to thrive in college, at work and in life. Polaris Tech is that school – aspiring to turn the imagined into a reality.
The centerpiece of Polaris Tech’s middle and high school curriculum is the introduction of six 21st Century Career Pathways: aerospace, health science, information technology, logistics, advanced manufacturing, and business management. The Career Pathways are reinforced by a rigorous course of academic study delivered through a blended and adaptive educational content technology, a focus on work and life skills and balanced by an emphasis on the health and wellness of each student.
The Director of Teaching, Learning & Accountability will report directly to the Executive Director and partner with the Director of Programs and Director of Finance and Operations to build this dynamic school and achieve the mission – ‘to unleash student potential and cultivate aspirations; where students are college-ready, career-focused and invest in the community. This position will work closely with parents, families and the community and will oversee and lead the implementation of the comprehensive curriculum, including the instructional processes, oversee the instructional staff and ensure achievement of the instructional goals, student interest goals and outcomes of Polaris Tech Charter School. This role will be responsible to ensure the efficacy, access and equity of the technology enabled, flexible learning environment. This position requires a valid SC administration license. Inquire at email@example.com
Requirements include, but not limited to
- Recruit, hire and manage all educational staff (not including guidance and health staffing)
- Facilitate and coach faculty on implementation of the education approach to include personalized, blended, and applied learning processes.
- Monitor, coach and evaluate educational staff performance.
- Provide leadership for the planning, design, and implementation of professional development.
- Provide leadership for the coordination and implementation of Polaris Tech’s comprehensive and systemic academic curriculum/programs through an on-going process of planning for innovation, change, and continuous academic/developmental improvement.
- Monitor and manage the implementation of the personalized learning framework – including the digital curriculum (Edgenuity MyPath™), core content and culture programs, 21st century skills, applied learning programs and projects, special needs and assessment tools (through the ICAN learner profile).
- Ensure that 21st Century Skills and Health & Wellness emphasis are part of daily programming within the curriculum.
- Select necessary curriculum enhancement programs in conjunction with faculty.
- Coordinate allocation of materials and resources necessary to produce desired student outcomes in conjunction with the Director of Programs, the Director of Finance and Operations and faculty.
Educational Content & Delivery Systems
- Monitor and analyze new and trending electronically delivered content and delivery tools to maximize an individualized school experience.
- Partner with Director of Finance and Operations to ensure that the Information Technology infrastructure optimizes the delivery of educational services to staff and students when, where and for whom they will be most effective.
- Optimize resources to provide the educational and professional development opportunities to ensure that the teaching and administrative staff use the Information Technology tools effectively.
- Coordinate and direct the appropriate programming of students in their chosen career path.
- Ensure that special education students and ELL students are placed on the appropriate emergent learning path and the best career path in line to their personal needs, including IEP’s.
- Monitor, diagnose and remedy student performance gaps through analysis of data from the assessment (NWEA MAP), Edgenuity MyPath™ and other evaluation processes of all students enrolled using all tests, evaluations and competency-based assessments within the ICAN learner portfolios.
- Monitor student recruitment, attendance, disciplinary action and retention.
- Ensure the accuracy, maintenance and confidentiality of student records.
- Behave in an ethical manner pursuant to the South Carolina Code of Ethics, Rules of Conduct.
- Uphold the Core Values, Guiding Beliefs, Disciplines and Principles at all times.
- Must possess a valid South Carolina Teaching and Administration Credential
- Master’s degree in Education Leadership.
- At least three years as a School Leader of a middle and/or high school, preferably as a founding leader in a start-up or charter school.
- Demonstrate strong organizational and systems thinking skills.
- Evidence of ability to work with staff, parents and community to achieve successful outcomes with an at-risk, high poverty and academically challenged student population.
- Demonstrate competence and ability to implement a multi-pronged, comprehensive curriculum.
- Demonstrates an understanding of and commitment to personalized learning, student-centered strategies and competency-based progression to mastery aligned to student and industry goals and interests.
- Experience using and managing the design and implementation of instructional, content and administrative technologies.
- Exhibit a commitment to promoting academic freedom, trust, and respect among faculty members and school personnel.
- Well versed in promoting a positive achievement oriented climate among students, staff, parents and community.
- Possess outstanding oral and written communication skills.
- Prior Special Education background.
- Experience in adult learning and experience in staff development and evaluation.