AN INVITATION TO APPLY FOR THE POSITION OF
SUPERINTENDENT OF SCHOOLS
TWO RIVERS SUPERVISORY UNION, VERMONT
The Two Rivers Supervisory Union (TRSU) invites dynamic, future-focused candidates to apply for the position of Superintendent of Schools.
Located in the scenic Okemo Valley in Vermont, TRSU is comprised of six communities: Ludlow, Mount Holly, Chester, Cavendish, Andover, and Baltimore, which account for a total population of 8,574 residents. With proximity to Boston, Portland, Manchester, and Albany, TRSU is nestled in a valley offering year-round recreations with miles of hiking and bike trails for spring and summer enjoyment, brilliant fall foliage, and premier skiing at Okemo Ski Resort. Complimenting the natural beauty, the valley is also home to 1888 Black River Academy Museum, one of the first coed schools for its time, and attended by our 30th President Calvin Coolidge. Other attractions include factory tours displaying the craftsmanship of renowned Vermont hardwood furniture, shops and galleries in the villages, and ample dining opportunities.
The Two Rivers Supervisory Union comprises two school districts: Green Mountain Unified School District and Ludlow Mount Holly Unified Union School District. The supervisory union serves 872 PreK-12 students according to the following configuration:
Green Mountain Unified School District
- Cavendish Town Elementary School (Grades K-6, enrollment 77) Chester-Andover Elementary School (Grades K-6, enrollment 233) Green Mountain Union High School (Grades 7-12, enrollment 298) GMUSD Preschool Collaborative (Grade PreK, enrollment 59)
Ludlow Mount Holly Unified Union School District
- Ludlow Elementary School (Grades PreK-6, enrollment 91) Mount Holly School (Grades PreK-6, enrollment 114)
Ludlow Mount Holly has school choice for Grades 7-12, meaning that students can go to any public or approved independent school in Vermont.
TRSU governs the administrative functions of the schools, including Transportation, Special Education, Technology and Afterschool programs with an FY 23-24 operating budget of $9,588,236. TRSU is led by a six-member board, composed of three board members from both the Green Mountain Unified School District Board (representing the towns of Andover, Baltimore, Cavendish, and Chester with 11 total members; operating budget for FY 23-24 is $15,837,173) and the Ludlow Mount Holly Unified Union School District Board (representing the towns of Ludlow and Mount Holly with 8 total members; operating budget for FY 23-24 is $7,668,103).
Two Rivers Supervisory Union’s Vision: Students and adults will collaborate, think critically, acquire and apply knowledge and solve problems creatively’ demonstrates a district-wide commitment to all stakeholders.
For more information, please visit the district website at: https://www.trsu.org/
Each of the schools’ leaders, families and staff work together to ensure the vision and district goals are embedded in the climate and culture. Some indicators of TRSU’s commitment to student success and excellence are:
- Pre-K is offered to support early childhood learning A strong after-school and summer program with an academic focus Music, art, technology, health, and physical education programs are offered in Grades K-12, including band/chorus for 6-12 and theatre arts for 7-12 Outdoor learning activities include skiing, snow shoeing, hiking, mountain biking, and other outdoor activities taking advantage of the Two Rivers Supervisory Union’s location Well-rounded course offerings at the high schools, including Advanced Placement courses and access to additional learning opportunities through Vermont Virtual Learning Cooperative, Brigham Young University, Dartmouth College Special Community Program and River Valley and Stafford Technical Services Robust athletic offerings for varsity and junior varsity teams for students in Grades 7-12, including soccer, cross country, mountain biking, basketball, rock climbing, indoor track, cheerleading, softball, baseball, and track
Two Rivers Supervisory Union has an active parent/community support system including Parent Teacher Group, Parent Booster Clubs and a high level of community engagement and support for the schools. The Superintendent is supported by central office staff members, including Director of Student Support Services, Business Administrator, Director of Human Resources, Director of Technology, Director of Operations, and support personnel.
The next Superintendent of the Two Rivers Supervisory Union must demonstrate:
- The ability to be a visionary leader and can successfully work with a six-town school board and municipal budget committee.
- The capacity to connect collaboratively with district employees and community stakeholders to uphold the districts’ vision and mission.
- Familiarity with capital improvement plans and educational needs alignment, along with knowledge of budgets and financial management with a strong sense of fiscal responsibility Visionary and forward-thinking, with an understanding of the changing environment of education and what is needed for students to grow and thrive. The ability to work collaboratively to inspire every student and staff member to reach their highest potential and develop and articulate a dynamic vision for TRSU’s future.
Qualified candidates must have strong central office experience combined with a background in public education and building administration. An advanced graduate degree is preferred, and Vermont Superintendent certification or eligibility for certification is necessary. The Two Rivers Supervisory Union offers a competitive salary and benefits package, commensurate with qualifications and experience.
For more information, please contact: Dr. David DeRuosi, Jr., Two Rivers Supervisory Union Superintendent Search, NESDEC, 28 Lord Road, Marlborough, MA 01752; Phone: 508-481-9444; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
To access the application, please visit www.nesdec.org
Review of applications will begin on December 14, 2023. The Superintendent is anticipated to be appointed in February 2024 and the expected start date for the new Superintendent is July 1, 2024.