AN INVITATION TO APPLY FOR THE POSITION OF
SUPERINTENDENT OF SCHOOLS
OYSTER RIVER COOPERATIVE SCHOOL DISTRICT, NEW HAMPSHIRE
The Oyster River Cooperative School District (ORCSD, SAU #5) School Board invites highly qualified and future-focused candidates to apply for the position of Superintendent of Schools, with a start date of July 1, 2024.
ORCSD serves the communities of Durham, Lee, and Madbury. Students from the neighboring town of Barrington also attend Oyster River High School under a tuition agreement. The district is one of the oldest cooperative school districts in the state and will celebrate its seventy-year anniversary in 2024. ORCSD is located in the southeast corner of New Hampshire, 50 miles north of Boston, 12 miles west of Portsmouth and the Atlantic Ocean beaches, and 40 miles southeast of the White Mountains. Additionally, the University of New Hampshire is located in Durham. The district’s location provides its students with atypical access to an array of cultural and educational resources.
ORCSD’s mission, “Working Together to Engage Every Learner,” has students as its primary focus and looks to provide a balance of academic, athletic, fine arts and community service opportunities. ORCSD has a reputation for academic excellence, and the district’s community members and staff are committed to, and supportive of, quality education for all students. This support has helped the district recruit and maintain an excellent teaching staff and an outstanding administrative leadership team. The community’s commitment to education and sustainability was recently demonstrated through funding the construction of a new LEED Gold certified middle school, which opened in February 2022.
ORCSD serves just over 2,100 students in four schools:
- Mast Way Elementary School (Grades K-4, Enrollment: 328)
- Moharimet Elementary School (Grades K-4, Enrollment: 297)
- Oyster River Middle School (Grades 5-8, Enrollment: 644)
- Oyster River High School (Grades 9-12, Enrollment: 846)
During a student’s time at ORCSD, they become strong, independent, critical thinkers with a commitment to living ethically and a belief that each of them can and should make a difference in our world. School leaders, families, and staff work together to implement this vision. District goals and initiatives are guided by the district’s strategic plan, which integrates priorities across technology, facilities, transportation, nutrition, sustainability, diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEIJ), and curriculum and instruction, with an emphasis on Multi-Tiered Systems of Support (MTSS) encompassing academics and social-emotional learning.
The Oyster River Cooperative School District is justifiably proud of its many achievements, a sample of which are:
- Mast Way designated as Blue Ribbon School
- ORMS has been a NELMS spotlight school since 2003
- ORCSD has a 99% high school graduation rate
- Successful and innovative music and arts programs
- State championships for athletic teams and impressive individual accomplishments at regional and national levels
- Appointment of Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Justice Director in July 2022
- Several NH EDies Award winners amongst staff, faculty, and administration
- NH School Board of the Year 2022-2023
- Supportive community with a high pass rate of budgets and contracts
The position offers the opportunity to make a real difference in the lives of students. The new Superintendent will join a team of:
- Highly skilled and dedicated staff
- Strong community partners
- Supportive and engaged families
- Motivated students with a strong and valued voice
ORCSD is prepared to offer a regionally competitive salary and benefits package to a leader with exceptional credentials, accomplishments, and promise.
Interested candidates should contact:
Dr. Carolyn Burke, Dr. David DeRuosi, or Dr. Arthur Bettencourt
Oyster River Cooperative School District Superintendent Search (SAU #5)
New England School Development Council
28 Lord Road
Marlborough, MA 01752
508-481-9444 (phone); firstname.lastname@example.org (email)
To access the application, please visit www.nesdec.org
It is anticipated that application materials will be reviewed beginning October 27, 2023, with interviews scheduled shortly thereafter. The expected start date for the new Superintendent is July 1, 2024.