Location:Roberts Elementary School
The Professional School Counselor is responsible for counseling students to develop fully each student's academic, career, personal, and social abilities; plan, implement, and evaluate a comprehensive counseling/guidance program based on the defined needs of the students served; support the school's education programs and help promote the school's educational goals.
- Develop, implement, and evaluate a comprehensive counseling and guidance program.
- Counsel individuals and small groups of students with presenting needs/concerns.
- Consult with parents, teachers, administrators, and other relevant individuals to enhance their work with students.
- Guide individuals and groups of students through the development of career awareness and educational planning.
- Coordinate with school and community personnel to bring together resources for students.
- Use an effective process for assisting students and others to use special programs and services.
- Assist students in course selection and manage graduation requirements.
- Present the school comprehensive guidance curriculum.
- Assist teachers in the teaching of the school comprehensive guidance curriculum.
- Participate in the planning and evaluation of the district/school group standardized testing program.
ILLUSTRATIVE DUTIES CONTINUED
- Perform other counseling and guidance related duties as assigned.
Texas Education Agency Counselor Certification.
Master's degree from an accredited college or university in Counseling and Guidance.
Two years exemplary teaching experience.
Working knowledge of personal computers and applicable software.
Ability to communicate effectively in both written and oral forms with all levels of management, both internal and external to the department.
Ability to discern the sensitivity of internal/external communications in a large public organization and an awareness of the elements of public relations.
Ability to work effectively with a diverse student and community population.
Ability to adjust the eye to bring an object into focus; judge distance (close and distant); reach with arms extended and use hands to manipulate the keyboard.
Ability to lift and carry up to 20 pounds, stand, stoop, kneel, crouch, walk, twist, bend, climb and/or be mobile.
Houston Independent School District is an equal opportunity employer.