Middle School Teacher Date Posted:
7/24/2023 Job Function:
Teachers Grade Level:
Elementary/Middle School Job Type:
Full-Time Start Date: ABOUT MERIDIAN PCS
Meridian is a PreK-8th grade school located in Washington DC's vibrant U Street Corridor. Our mission is to inspire a passion for learning in our students and to help them build their self-confidence and self-respect through academic achievement.
Our 650+ students are a diverse mix of African-American, Latino, Asian, African, and White students. Almost 30% of our students are English language learners, and we have one of the largest Hispanic populations in DC charter schools. We are committed to building a community of teachers and staff who reflect the rich diversity of our student body. Our middle school campus serves nearly 200 students in the Columbia Heights neighborhood in grades 6-8.
Meridian is committed to serving families from our local communities; and one-third of our students live within a half mile of the school. The U Street Corridor was once the heart of black culture in DC and offers a tangible historical archive for our students, and Columbia Heights is one of the most racially and economically diverse neighborhoods in the District. We are also proud of the fact that Meridian is a school of choice for parents- all eight wards of the city are represented among our student population.
Meridian's strengths include two beautiful and historic campuses, with nearby outdoor and recreational grounds; state of the art technology for students and teachers; updated and aligned curricula; an academic program laser-focused on student growth, achievement, and social-emotional development; extensive professional development and support for teachers and leaders; and a school culture grounded in student achievement, collaboration, and student-centered learning.
Join us as we continue to take Meridian from good to great! For additional information about Meridian visit mpcs-dc.org
. ABOUT THE POSITION
We are seeking English Language Arts, Math, Social Studies, and Science teachers to work with our 6th-8th grade students for the 2023-24 school year. All positions are full-time, salaried, 10-month positions.
Teachers at Meridian are responsible for the following:
- Collaborating with colleagues in developing cohesive Common Core-aligned curriculum materials, increasing instructional resources, and establishing instructional goals
- Preparing standards-based lessons that challenge students' critical thinking
- Utilizing strong content knowledge to effectively present enticing and rigorous Common Core-aligned lessons
- Differentiating instruction to accommodate multiple learning styles and abilities
- Assessing students' academic and developmental growth through observation and a variety of assessment methods
- Tracking and monitoring assessment results in order to regularly refine teaching practices and design differentiated lesson plans
- Applying the values of urgency, rigor, and consistency to create a positive learning environment that promotes high expectations
- Communicating with students, parents, school staff to ensure that students are on-track in their learning and making progress towards goals
- Establishing and implementing effective classroom management procedures, and maintain a productive, safe, and focused learning environment
- Other duties as assigned
Ideal candidates will have the following education and experience:
SALARY AND BENEFITS
- Bachelor's degree required. Concentration or advanced degree in education or preferred.
- Two or more years of teaching experience as a K-12 teacher in an urban environment with a strong record of student achievement preferred
- Experience/strength in the content area preferred
- Spanish language skills a plus
A recent TNTP Insight Survey of our teachers placed our staff's satisfaction with compensation in the top quartile of all charter schools in DC. We also lead the charter sector in compensation transparency and we publish our salary scales for teachers, apprentice teachers, and dedicated aides here
Meridian teachers and staff are compensated competitively for their time and have opportunities to earn additional income through leadership opportunities at the school level, offering extracurricular clubs and sports for students, and facilitating tutoring programs.HOW TO APPLY
Do you embody a love of learning? Do you believe in the importance of educating the whole child? Do you want to help Meridian continue to grow from good to great? Apply today!In accordance with Mayor's Order 2021-109, Meridian Public Charter School requires all staff to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 or obtain an approval for exemption due to medical or religious reasons.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. Meridian Public Charter School is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The School's EEO policy prohibits discrimination in employment based on race, color, religion, national origin, disability, sex, age, sexual orientation, marital status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law. Meridian PCS prohibits discrimination against individuals with disabilities and will reasonably accommodate applicants with a disability, upon request, and will also ensure reasonable accommodation for employees with a disability. Under this policy, equal employment opportunity is required in recruitment, hiring, training and development, promotion, termination, compensation, benefits, and all other terms, conditions, and privileges of employment as required by applicable law.