Below is specific information for you to consider about this position.
Job Title: Associate Educator -Classroom Support - Bethune PreK-5 (2023-2024) Multiple Positions Available
and Requisition ID number: 99025
Close Date:11:59 PM on
Organizational Unit: Bethune Elementary (10000011)
Site: Bethune (0107)
FTE: 87.5 FTE; 35 hours per week (41weeks)
; this is based on full-time equivalency with 1.0 being full time
Functional Area: Paraprofessional
Resume and Cover Letter are mandatory to apply for any position. Classroom Support :
Assisting licensed staff in classrooms to maintain a positive learning environment and reinforce classroom learning. Multiple positions available
With minimal supervision, this position will collaboratewith licensed school personnel to support the District's student achievement goals, discipline, and behavior policies, as well as to assistteachers. Independently, the incumbent hired will implementa variety of student, family, community services, and educational programs in support of district cultural diversity goals. She or he will also serve as a liaison between the students, family, community, and the school. RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assisting teachers and staff in educational functions, as well asother services, to maintain a safe, diverse, and productive learning environment; andworking with students to reinforce classroom learning/educational programsand improve personal skills.
- Assisting students in learning processes; reinforcingpositive behavior; providingindividual instruction; andencouragingsocialization and positive communication.
- Monitoring and supervisingstudent activities; promotingrespect, supporting diversity, and explaining social norms and disciplinary consequences; de-escalatingpersonal confrontations; and enforcingDistrict policies and rules of conduct.
- Monitoring students to record data for academic and behavioral assessments; maintaining filesand keepingrecords of student progress and activities; and assuringall required written reports are completed and submitted.
- Establish and provide transportation needs and Minneapolis Public Schools guidelines related to students and district transportation.
One of the following:
- Associate's degree or higher in Education or closely related area
- Completed 90 quarter or 60 semester college credits from an accredited institution
- A passing score of 460 (or higher) on the ParaPro Assessment AND either a high school diploma or a GED certificate (For more information on the ParaPro Assessment, contact Educational Testing Service at 1-800-772-9476 or www.ets.org/parapro )
Two (2) years of professional experience working with children. PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
LICENSE AND CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
- Associate's degree in education, child development, parent education or a related area.
- Educational background to assist site staff in the provision of health, education or other services.
- Knowledge of, and experience with, cultural differences.
- Knowledge of early childhood development.
- The ability to communicate effectively and sensitively with students and their families, especially with related program needs.
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with others to assist families in connecting to community servicers that will support their child and family.
- Ability to act in a leadership role and independently initiate and follow through on tasks under minimal supervision.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Proven community collaboration in large urban environment.
First Aid, CPR, AED and Crisis Prevention Intervention (CPI) training may be required. PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT
A job in this category may require walking or standing to a significant degree, and working with special needs children. Must be able to frequently lift up to 50 pounds. It will require the ability to manage student behavior with the physical capacity to work directly with and supervise students.
Final candidates may be invited to interview with a committee. Final appointment to this position will be contingent upon passing a criminal background check. COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY: Diversity is one of Minneapolis Public Schools core values and is essential to our goal of putting children first and making them college-ready. Diversity of our workforce provides us with a competitive advantage and allows us to better understand, communicate with and educate our diverse student body. Minneapolis Public Schools will not deny anyone the opportunity for training or employment because of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender or gender identity, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, disability, sexual orientation, age, family care leave status, or veteran status.Minneapolis Public Schools strongly encourages diverse candidates to apply.