Administrative Services - Fiscal ServicesJob Summary: Under the direction of the Director of Budget and Chief Financial Officer, this position is responsible for managing and closely monitoring full-time equivalent (FTE) positions against vacancies, as well as all other staffing levels authorized by other funding sources. Serves as the primary liaison to Human Resources staff (Compensation and Benefits) and Administration to provide the status of staffing levels through position control. Essential Job Functions:
- Manages, monitors and maintains position control and staffing levels through use of systems, programs and reporting.
- Responsible for ensuring that all authorized positions are in the position control system in a timely fashion; sets up authorized positions and establishes job codes for those positions.
- Provides financial analyses and budget implications of staffing costs in compliance with authorized funding and restricted account regulations and/or mandates.
- Tabulates and compares statistical or financial data related to FTE positions.
- Prepares cost-benefit analyses and projections of current and future financial implications based on various staffing proposals.
- Resolves data discrepancies in consultation with the direct supervisor and/or Chief Finance Officer.
- Ensures labor cost transactions comply with established budgetary guidelines.
- Compiles data and prepares reports for both internal and external uses.
- Analyzes data to assist the Director of Budgeting in identifying fiscally sound staffing levels and factors for adjusting staffing levels; presents findings orally and/or in various report forms.
- Prepares and processes personnel line items transfers for labor costs.
- Balances, adjusts, and maintains various accounts and financial records in accordance with applicable laws, rules, and policies affiliated with specific budgets and financial functions as it relates to position control.
- Notifies Human Resources, administrators and supervisor of identified variances and recommends allocations that comply with stipulations of funding source for changes while ensuring authorized personnel costs are maintained.
- Designs, maintains, and publishes all position control and budget related SSRS and Munis reports.
- Assists with reconciling ledgers with data maintained by the Division and outside agencies as assigned.
- Assists with position control aspects of the budget development process for restricted, special, and/or general funds.
- Collects data and analyzes prior and multi-year staffing levels.
- Provides background data upon request.
- As needed, attends board meetings, internal and external meetings with the School Board, Finance, Human Resources, administrators, County Board meetings, etc.
- Assist in interpreting, administering, and complying with policies, rules, and regulations established by the School Board as it relates to position control.
- May assist in preparing specific elements of federal, state, and local financial reports.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of regulations and reporting requirements and procedures connected with restricted, special, and general fund programs.
- Cross-trains and provides assistance to other co-workers for back-up support to balance fluctuating workloads and/or when determined appropriate by supervisor.
- Maintains the confidentiality and security of sensitive information.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Experience (number of years required): Five or more years experience directly related to managing and monitoring position control and labor cost budgeting for a large school division or large organization supplemented by an Associate's Degree in a related field. Preferred Education: Bachelor's Degree in Finance, Accounting, Human Resources or related field. Salary:
- Knowledge of principles of budgeting, auditing, and record keeping.
- Knowledge of position control processes and check and balances.
- Knowledge of how to segregate labor costs into fund accounts.
- Knowledge of financial processes, laws, codes, and regulations within a school district.
- Knowledge of audit documentation requirements.
- Knowledge of automated accounting/financial and HR systems.
- Knowledge of how to accumulate and allocate cost-accounting information to determine standard labor costs or rates.
- Knowledge of the financial transactions, controls, and reporting processes for restricted funds.
- Skilled at math to solve complex arithmetic computations and financial transactions.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills as well as interpersonal skills.
- Ability to use automated software systems to extract data and prepare custom reports.
- Ability to research archived data and prepare proposals and statistical or varied reports.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work in order to meet deadlines and budget timelines.
- Ability to lead and provide one-on-one guidance and/or group discussions on budget related topics.
- Ability to initiate and conduct technical research to solve complex matters and transactions.
- Ability to analyze complex financial information and communicate problems and solutions.
This is a 12 month position with benefits. Salary range $81,308 - $112,371 depending on experience. Apply To:
Click on the link above to apply. All applicants, including those currently employed with Spotsylvania County Public Schools, will need to complete an online application.