Dean of Students - 201 Days
- Hamilton County Department of Education
- Chattanooga, TN, United States
- Job Category
- Administrator, Principal
Pending approval of the SY24 CFA by TDOE and HCS Board.
Hamilton County Schools, located in Chattanooga, TN, is working to ensure that all students thrive and experience a future without limits. We are committed to excellence for every student and are seeking outstanding leaders, teachers, support staff, and district employees who desire to make a difference in the lives of students. With nearly 75 schools, we are confident that you can find your place in Hamilton County.
Learn more about working for Hamilton County Schools at careers.hcde.org and get to know us and our strategic plan, Opportunity 2030.
The Dean of Students will collaborate with school administrators, teachers/staff, parents, and selected LEA personnel to ensure that all students are successful in the academic and community environments. The Dean of Students will think critically about ways to solve disciplinary and attendance issues, including academic and non-academic issues, in order to ensure that students are getting the support they need to maintain and/or improve high levels of academic performance. The Dean of Students will engage in instructional conversations, training, and learning opportunities that focus on supporting teacher learning and student achievement. The Dean of Students will lead with an instructional presence.
- Communicate with families and work collaboratively with the school's Family Partnership Specialists and School Counseling staff.
- Impact student achievement in the core academic areas by providing guidance and supporting students who are experiencing difficulty with study habits, attendance, and behavioral expectations.
- Serve as a resource to staff by supporting the school action plan, quality instruction, and implementation of high-quality instructional materials.
- Lead school-wide culture and climate programs such as: School-Wide Positive Behavior Initiatives and the Anti-Bullying Program. Facilitate training for students, teachers, and parents to help strengthen the school and community partnership.
- Develop individualized student plans to support students with making positive choices.
- Create and coordinate education supports to meet the needs of students.
- Support and monitor students regarding academic, behavioral, and social behaviors.
- Facilitate meetings for the purpose of meeting curriculum guidelines and/or ensuring that state mandates are achieved.
- Attend school leadership meetings, and other meetings or professional development opportunities with student support strategies.
- Participate in parent-teacher conferences.
- Monitor student growth and progress.
- Plan and implement talk structures that support student discourse, both academic and behaviorally focused.
- Work with mentor teachers and teachers to ensure that students are being challenged in an academically rigorous setting, while being supported emotionally.
- Minimum of a Bachelor's degree. Master's degree is preferred.
- Teaching candidates must hold a valid state of Tennessee Teaching or School Service certification. If you hold a teaching license in another state, you must apply for a Tennessee teaching license.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, especially the ability to communicate and collaborate with school age students.
- Effective organizational skills, attention to detail, strong work ethic, and ability to multitask.
- Ability to read and interpret documents, write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups.
- Ability to research and interpret state and LEA student data.
- Ability to interpret, apply and explain laws, rules, regulations, policies, procedures, and contracts which affect the school.
- Ability to utilize student formative and summative test data with all stakeholders.
- Experience enforcing consequences and upholding high standards.
- Experience working with urban school students and their families in a diverse environment.
- Experience as a teacher, social worker, or school psychologists, preferred.
- Demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication skills to deal effectively with
students, educators, parents, and community members.
- Demonstrate excellent planning, organizational, problem-solving, decision-making,
and time management skills.
Salary is based on a combination of relevant education and experience.
This position may be eligible for an increase in total compensation. The Differentiated Compensation Plan applies to designated schools and hard-to-staff positions. Please see https://www.hcde.org/staff/human_resources/differentiated_compensation for more details.
Hamilton County Schools, located in beautiful Chattanooga, TN, is hiring, supporting, and retaining outstanding top teaching talent. We are the fastest improved district in Tennessee and have a goal to become the best. With nearly 80 schools located in urban, rural, and suburban communities, we are confident that you can find your place in Hamilton County.
Why Join our Team?
New Teacher Support: With our progressive three-year induction program for new teachers, you will have the following supports:
- New Teacher Academy
- First Year Mentor & Supportive Professional Development
- Whole-Teacher/Well-Teacher (wellness & mindfulness training)
Leadership Opportunities: Grow your career with Hamilton County Schools, no matter your professional goals:
- Train to become a mentor teacher or professional development presenter
- Obtain your National Board Certification and get a $4,000 salary increase
- Apply for leadership pipeline programs for instructional coaching or administration
- Be a part of innovative programs that are unique to Hamilton County like Teacherpreneur and STEM Fellows
- Travel the world as a Fund for Teachers recipient
Experience all Chattanooga has to offer:
- Chattanooga has a metro area of 500,000 people - not too big and not too small - and under two hours from Nashville, Atlanta, Knoxville, and Birmingham
- Award-winning city for outdoor activities, music, art and culture
- 25 + local music, art, and food festivals every year
We are seeking teaching candidates who are:
- Committed to high academic achievement and high expectations for all students
- Able to be a positive team-player and communicate effectively with colleagues, supervisors, students, and families
- Open to being coached and receiving feedback in order to advance learning and growth for students
- Experienced in high-need or Title-I School settings. Experience with English Language Learners is a plus.
- Professionals with high personal standards and integrity
Compensation & Total Rewards
- Competitive salary range commensurate with experience
- Comprehensive benefits package includes multiple health insurance options, vision, dental reimbursement, short and long-term disability, life insurance, on-site clinics, and a wellness program
- Childcare for Hamilton County teachers available in multiple schools
- Competitive retirement plans through Tennessee Consolidated Retirement System, including a hybrid 401k and pension plan. In 2018, TCRS was ranked in the top four best funded State Pension plans by the Pew Charitable Trust.
About Hamilton County Schools
Hamilton County Schools, located in beautiful Chattanooga, TN, is the fastest improving district in the state of Tennessee. We believe in success for all students and are dedicated to helping all students succeed to their highest potential. With nearly 80 schools located in urban, rural, and suburban communities, we are confident that you can find your place in Hamilton County.
Who we serve: Hamilton County Schools serves over 42,000 students across our diverse county in urban, rural and suburban communities. Our families speak 125 languages and approximately 8.5% of our students are English language learners.
Our results: The state of Tennessee has recognized Hamilton County as an “Advancing” school district.
A few of our recent achievements include:
- #2 out of 146 districts in the state of Tennessee for student growth and a Level 5 district for 2018-2019
- 45 Level 5 schools and 32 reward schools
- 16 Volkswagen E-Labs - the highest concentration of fabrication labs of any district in the US or abroad
- Milken Award winning teacher; State Principal of the Year (2017)
- 13 High Schools with over 18 Future Ready Institutes
3074 Hickory Valley Road
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert