High School Principal
- Salem City School District
- Salem, Virginia
- $101,641 - $142,297 depending on experience
- Job Category
- Administrator, Principal
- Grade Level
- High School
- Job Type
SALEM CITY SCHOOLS IS SEARCHING FOR QUALIFIED APPLICANTS FOR THE POSITION OF HIGH SCHOOL PRINCIPAL FOR THE 2023-2024 SCHOOL YEAR. POSITION BEGINS JULY 1, 2023.
HIGH SCHOOL PRINCIPAL
GENERAL DEFINITION AND CONDITIONS OF WORK:
Performs complex professional and difficult administrative work in the administration and supervision of the high school and its multitude of instructional, non-instructional and extracurricular programs, operations, facilities and services; priority is given to instruction through personal involvement in and evaluation of the instructional program; serves as the instructional leader and maintains an atmosphere of mutual respect and courtesy while establishing high expectations for all employees and students; does related work as required. Work is performed under the general supervision of the superintendent of schools and the assistant superintendent for instruction. Supervision is exercised over assistant principals, teaching and support staff. This is an exempt position as defined by the Fair Labor Standards Act. Employees holding exempt positions often are required to follow a flexible work schedule, which may include working extended hours to meet specific job responsibilities. The contracted salary covers all hours worked.
This is light work requiring the exertion of up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects; work requires standing, walking, and repetitive motions; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels; visual acuity is required for preparing and analyzing written or computer data, determining the accuracy and thoroughness of work, and observing general surroundings and activities; the worker is not subject to adverse environmental conditions.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/TYPICAL TASKS:
Developing, implementing and maintaining an effective educational program consistent with state and federal guidelines and the philosophy, policies and goals of the school board. The High School Principal also…..
- Serves as the instructional leader in the building through a variety of activities;
- Confers and collaborates with the appropriate central office staff, Director of Instruction, teachers and school staff relating to high school programs, curriculums, activities and goals;
- Delegates specific instructional and non-instructional responsibilities to appropriate individuals and monitors results;
- Directs instructional improvement, in-service and training processes involving the staff;
- Supervises the assignment, training, performance and evaluation of classified employees;
- Develops, implements and supports biennial curriculum, instructional, facilities and other plans for the high school;
- Provides leadership for school/parent/community relations, programs and initiatives that involve the high school;
- Supervises the assignments of non-instructional personnel;
- Maintains accurate records and reports of financial dealings pertaining to the school;
- Supervises the preparation and maintenance of all school reports and records;
- Attends the extracurricular events held at the school or assigns as necessary;
- Heads and serves on school, division, regional and State committees;
- Attends division-wide meetings, seminars and conferences as required;
- Performs related tasks as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Comprehensive knowledge of the educational objectives, practices, methods and techniques used in the administration and supervision of all facets of the high school principalship; thorough knowledge of prescribed School Board policies and procedures; excellent oral and written communication skills; outstanding leadership and personal characteristics; ability to motivate others to reach their fullest potential; ability to manage effectively the staff and students; ability to work with and through others.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Any combination of education and experience equivalent to a postgraduate professional license with an endorsement as a secondary school principal in Virginia, extensive teaching experience and considerable other administrative and/or supervisory experience at the high school level.
Revised January 2014
SALEM CITY SCHOOLS IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert