- Durham Public Schools
- Durham, NC, US
- Job Category
- Teaching, English / Reading / Language Arts Teacher, PE Teacher
High School Teaching/Physical Education
Northern High School
Position Number: Assignment Type: Position Term: 356185Full Time10 Months Salary or Hourly Rate: State Salary Schedule + Local Supplement Contact Name:
Contact Phone Number:
Contact Email Address:
Position Type: Licensed
Term: 10 Month
Level Of Benefits: Full
Salary Range: State Salary Schedule + Local Supplement
Must hold or be eligible to hold a valid North Carolina Professional Educator's License in the subject/area of assignment.
Seeking a capable and passionate teacher that has a love of the outdoors and is willing to invest themselves into the success of this young program. Annually, 6-8 semester long classes (full load) are taught of Outdoor Education (1 st level) and Adventure Education (2 nd level) with a mix of Juniors and Seniors. Students learn kayaking, canoeing, outdoor cooking, climbing, rappelling, Leave No Trace, navigation, fly-fishing, adventure trip planning, team building, and leadership skills through experiential means. The program has strong community ties through REI, Duke University (Project Wild), UNC Expeditions Program, Frog Hollow Outdoors, and numerous other individuals. These connections help to get the students off campus and into the wild in amazing ways. Extra time investment includes 2-4 three day trips per semester.
- Highly Qualified Teacher or qualifies for Lateral Entry Certification.
- Prior experience with a climbing program and ability to set climbs.
- Experience with challenge course programs and their philosophy.
- Commercial Drivers License or ability to obtain prior to the 2014-15 school year.
- Ability to manage paperwork in highly organized manner.
- Wilderness First Aid or Wilderness First Responder certified or ability to obtain within the first year.
Outdoor Ed Program Website: http://northern.dpsnc.net/Academics/Healthful%20Living/mr.-gaspar-outdoor-education
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert