Moderate Needs Para Educator - Sunrise Elementary
- Cherry Creek School District No. 5
- Englewood, CO, US
- Job Category
- Teaching, Elementary Education Teacher, Special Education Teacher, Mild / Moderate Disabilities Teacher, Support Staff, Paraprofessional
- Grade Level
- Elementary School
COMPENSATION SCHEDULE: Para-Educator | Link to https://www.cherrycreekschools.org/Page/2906
PAY GRADE: Range 5
BENEFITS: Our employee benefits package includes medical insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, health savings accounts, flexible spending accounts, life insurance, accidental death and dismemberment, long term disability, critical illness insurance, and accident insurance. Visit our website for full details.
SUPERVISOR: Special Education Teacher
SUMMARY: Under the guidance of licensed special education staff, assist students with moderate special education needs by helping individuals or small groups of students with curriculum, implementing programming, generalizing learned skills, and implementing behavior strategies. Assist licensed special education staff by monitoring students and recording student achievement and progress. Maintain a clean and hygienic work environment where appropriate. When working in an online/remote environment, provide support to students by assisting them with access to remote learning, re-teaching curriculum, implementing programming, setting up executive functioning strategies, generalizing learned skills, and completing assignments.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The following tasks describe the basic functions of the job; not all tasks may be performed by each employee. Duties and assignments may vary based on building assignment and academic year. The following frequencies and percentage of time spent are approximations only.
• Assist students with classroom activities, including adapting the curriculum to individual student needs. Assist with curriculum delivery to both individuals and small groups to ensure generalization of skills. [Daily, 30%]
• Implement student accommodations and therapeutic procedures and programs. Maintain records of student progress and behavior in conjunction with the licensed staff, which may include special reports, providing feedback, and reporting observations to the Individualized Education Program team. [Daily, 30%]
• Monitor students and reinforce appropriate behavior for individual student needs. Prevent student self-harm and harm to others. Assist student development of social interactions or communication between students with special needs and general education peers. [Daily, 30%]
• Assist with other classroom events, such as fire drills, as necessary. [Monthly, 5%]
• Perform other related duties as assigned or requested. [Daily, 5%]
When working in an online/remote environment, the job duties of this position change to the following duties and responsibilities.
• Assist small groups of students or individuals with online classroom activities during synchronous or asynchronous learning, including curriculum accommodations or modifications. Assist with curriculum delivery or practice to ensure generalization of skills. [Daily, 75%]
• Support students in completing assigned work. [Daily, 10%]
• Maintain records of student progress and behavior in conjunction with the licensed staff, which may include special reports, providing feedback, and reporting observations to the Individualized Education Program team. [Daily, 9%]
• Support students in troubleshooting technology issues. [Daily, 5%]
• Perform other related duties as assigned or requested. [Daily, 1%]
• High school diploma or equivalent.
• No experience required.
• Basic knowledge of typical office equipment such as telephones, copiers, fax machines, email, etc.
• Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office.
• Intermediate verbal and written communication skills.
• Advanced interpersonal relations skills.
• Advanced organizational skills.
• Ability to work alone and with others.
• Ability to implement behavior modification techniques.
• Ability to diffuse and manage volatile and stressful situations.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality in all aspects of the job.
• Ability to work one-on-one and in small groups with students.
• Criminal background check and fingerprinting required for hire.
REQUIRED CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, AND REGISTRATIONS:
All certifications, licenses, and registrations must be valid and unexpired.
• Mandatory biennial Crisis Prevention Intervention training provided by the District.
• Associate's degree.
• Experience working in a school district or educational setting.
• Experience working with students.
• Experience working in a special education environment.
• Experience working directly with people from diverse racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds.
• CPR and First Aid certifications.
• Racially conscious and culturally competent with the skill, will, capacity, and knowledge to commit to a culture of continuous improvement.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
• Heavy physical effort.
• Lifting 30 pounds.
• Prolonged standing and walking.
• Frequent bending, reaching, and climbing.
• Occasional lifting, pulling, and/or pushing.
• Overhead work.
• Eye/hand coordination (e.g., typing, ten key).
• Visual concentration.
• Concentrated reading/writing/mathematics.
• May work outdoors when monitoring student activities.
• May be required to perform physical restraint.
• Normal school district environment that may include potential volatile outbursts.
Last Updated: 12/13/2021
The Cherry Creek School District is one of the highest-achieving school districts in Colorado. We educate more than 53,000 children, representing over 150 languages. We serve over 300,000 residents in 108 square miles spreading across eight municipalities: Cherry Hills Village, Centennial, Foxfield, Glendale, Greenwood Village, and portions of Aurora, Englewood, and Denver. We employ over 3,700 teachers who serve in our 67 schools and programs. Ninety-eight percent of our schools rank in the highest category of Accreditation by the Colorado Department of Education.
We are proud of our longstanding national record of excellence in academics, arts, athletics, and activities. It is a testament to the efforts of a supportive community, involved parents, dedicated staff members, and motivated students.
Professional learning opportunities and support for educators are abundant in Cherry Creek, including educator mentorship, new educator orientation, district-level professional learning, and school-based learning teams - all directed toward developing educator craft and increasing student achievement.
We look forward to meeting with you to discuss the many opportunities in our district and the wonderful lifestyle of Colorado.
4700 S YOSEMITE ST
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert