Food & Nutrition Service Assistant @ Mt. Diablo High School TalentEd Hire #140
- Mt. Diablo Unified School District
- Concord, CA, US
- Job Category
- Teaching, Gifted / Talented Teacher, Support Staff, Nutrition / Food Services
- Grade Level
- High School
Length of Work Year:
3.75 hrs/day; School Days Only
Up To $22.24/hr
Number Openings: (At time of posting)
Contact: Alex Fernandez
Phone: 925-682-8000 4149
Mt. Diablo High School
Paula Onofrio; Food Services Supervisor
Online Via eSkill Assessment
The Mt Diablo Unified School District Business Services Team seeks staff members to join its team who want to provide outstanding customer service through an equity lens as we:
-We support our students and staff, assist our community, and lead MDUSD into the future.
-We believe in equitably serving all, being innovative, and taking great pride in our work.
-We honor our commitments, take pride in going the extra mile, and strive for mutually agreeable solutions that provide sustainable service to all.
-We treat our stakeholders equitably and with respect while holding each other accountable.
-We believe in creating magic through belonging and mutual interdependence, and realize when one team is successful, we are all successful.
If you have similar beliefs, we are looking for you!
Job Description / Essential Elements:
Mt. Diablo Unified School District
Food & Nutrition Services Assistant
Under general supervision, the job of the Food & Nutrition Services Assistant is to support the food service activities at assigned locations with specific responsibilities preparing, assisting in cooking, and serving food items to students and/or school personnel, while maintaining proper food safety and Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points (HACCP) protocols and record keeping. Maintains kitchens in a safe and sanitary condition.
Directly Responsible To
Food & Nutrition Services Area Supervisor. Work guided and directed by Food &
Nutrition Services Lead Food Service Worker.
Example of Duties
E: Essential Functions (May perform any combination of the essential functions shown below. This position is not intended to be an exhaustive list of duties, knowledge, or abilities associated with this classification, but is intended to accurately reflect the principal job elements).
- Acts as cashier for the purpose of ensuring accurate completion of all cashier processes. E
- Sets up, prepares, and breaks down serving areas in cafeteria, grab n go lines, mobile carts, or satellite locations on campus for the purpose of serving meals to students and staff. E
- Assists in the cooking and preparation of food for the purpose of ensuring effective menu implementation.
- Assembles main entrees, vegetables, salads, dressings, breads, etc., utilizing menus and recipes prepared by staff for the purpose of producing meals according to menu plan.
- Cleans kitchen, utensils, dishes, equipment, storage, food preparation, and serving areas for the purpose of maintaining required sanitary conditions. E
- Load and unload meals for the purpose of serving meals to students and staff. E
- Provides assistance with nutrition processes (e.g. daily record keeping, meal counts, production records, food and refrigerator/freezer temperature monitoring, quantity and quality of food inventory, cleanliness of equipment, cleanliness of preparation and serving areas, food preparation and serving, reporting equipment operating problems and other kitchen issues to Lead Food Service Worker, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring implementation of daily processes and all nutrition service requirements. E
- Arranges food and beverage items for the purpose of serving them to students and staff in an efficient manner.
- Reports safety issues in kitchen and cafeteria areas for the purpose of ensuring a safe and sanitary working environment.
- Attends unit meetings within the work day, for the purpose of gathering information required to perform job functions.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Perform multiple tasks with a potential need to upgrade skills in order to meet changing job conditions. Specific skill based upon competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include:
- Adhere to food production processes
- Communicate effectively with others
- Completing tasks in a timely manner
- Preparing and maintaining accurate records
- Operate standard office equipment and commercial kitchen equipment
- Pertinent software applications
- Applying assessment instruments
Perform basic math, including calculations using fractions, percent, and/or ratios. Knowledge skill based upon competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include:
- Beginning understanding of the Culinary Arts/food preparation
- Understand complex multi-step written and oral instructions
- Knowledge of Production kitchen operation
- Knowledge in scale reading
- Food safety practices and procedures
- Food Production timelines
- Health standards and hazards
To be flexible within a variety of circumstances. Ability skill based upon competencies required to satisfactorily preform the functions of the job include:
- Operate equipment using a variety of standardized methods
- Work with a variety of individuals
- Problem solving to identify issues and create action plans
- Working as part of a team
- Adapting to changing work priorities
- Meeting deadlines and schedules
- Organizing tasks
- Working with frequent interruptions
Responsibilities include; working under general supervision using standardized routines.
Work Environment/Physical Demands
The usual and customary methods of performing the job's functions require the following physical demands: significant lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling; frequent use of step ladder and balancing; stooping, kneeling, crouching, and/or crawling; and fine finger dexterity. Generally the job requires 45% walking and 55% standing. The job is performed under some temperature extremes and under conditions with some exposure to risk of injury and/or illness. Capable of frequently lifting/ carrying/ pushing/ pulling up to 25 lbs; up to SO lbs occasionally; lifting/ carrying/ pushing/ pulling over 51 lbs will be done as part of a team; considerable physical activity required.
Exposure to bulk food, equipment and metal objects; and working in cold, hot and freezing temperature environments.
Licenses and Certificates
- A valid California Driver's License (Preferred)
- CA ServSafe Food Handling Certification (Preferred)
Job related experience with increase levels of responsibility is desired.
High School Diploma or equivalent
Board Approval Expected: 1-18-23 Salary Range: 355
Mt. Diablo Unified School District (MDUSD) is honored to serve nearly 29,000 students at more than 50 school sites in Contra Costa County, in the cities of Clayton, Concord, Pleasant Hill, portions of Martinez, Pittsburg, and Walnut Creek, and the unincorporated communities of Bay Point, Lafayette, and Pacheco.
MDUSD offers award-winning, innovative programs in Career Technical Education (CTE), Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM), extensive visual and performing arts programs, rich foreign language and dual immersion offerings, and regional magnet programs. MDUSD is pleased to offer the only High School and Elementary School International Baccalaureate (IB) programs in Central Contra Costa County; efforts are underway to establish the program at other elementary schools and a middle school. Our College Now program enables high school juniors and seniors to take college classes at Diablo Valley College that allow them to meet high school graduation requirements while also earning college credits, one of only three such programs in the region. The nationally-renowned Advancement Via Individual Determination (AVID) program is in place districtwide. The district also offers a Transitional Kindergarten (TK) program at more than 20 elementary school sites.
Our highly-acclaimed Adult Education program helps more than 7,500 adults each year achieve education, employment, and personal goals with extensive course offerings for career and technical education, adult basic education, high school diploma and high school equivalency, parent education, English as a Second Language, family literacy, citizenship, programs for adults with disabilities, and personal growth and enrichment. In addition, Adult Education supports one of the 10 regional American Job Centers of California Access Sites at its Loma Vista Adult Center, offering job readiness and career search workshops and resources.
1936 Carlotta Dr.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert