Assistant Superintendent for Instruction - Albemarle County School District, VA
- McPherson & Jacobson
- Charlottesville, Virginia
- Job Category
- Administrator, Assistant Superintendent
- Job Type
The Albemarle County School District, Albemarle County, Virginia, is seeking a highly qualified Assistant Superintendent for Instruction. The Albemarle County School District wishes to have the successful candidate assume the responsibilities of the position on or before July 1, 2023.
McPherson & Jacobson, L.L.C., Executive Recruitment and Development has been engaged as the consultant in a search for outstanding candidates. They will assist Albemarle County School District in identifying and screening the candidates.
Enrollment: 13,500 students
Location: Situated around beautiful Charlottesville, Virginia– which is consistently ranked among America’s top university towns and best places to live – Albemarle County is nestled in the shadow of the Blue Ridge Mountains and Shenandoah National Park. Just 100 miles south of Washington, DC and 70 miles west of Richmond, it’s only a short trip to the Chesapeake Bay and Atlantic beaches, and New York is an easy Amtrak ride away. Whether it’s the great outdoors, a vibrant and diverse arts, food, and culture scene, or small town living with a big city feel, our part of Central Virginia has something for everyone.
Albemarle County Public Schools
Albemarle County Public Schools is committed to providing all students the opportunity to learn from talented, diverse educators who represent the many cultures and experiences of our community. We seek to hire leaders who demonstrate the ability to work with culturally diverse students, staff, and families, who see themselves as lifelong learners – always willing to learn new skills to best meet the ever-changing needs of our students, staff, and school community.
In Albemarle County Public Schools, we work to build school communities that share the responsibility to recognize and end racism, eliminate inequitable practices that result in achievement gaps, and support the unique gifts, talents, and interests of every child. ACPS is the first school division in the state of Virginia to adopt an anti-racism policy. Our strategic plan, Learning for All, guides our work.
We seek highly effective leaders who are able to help us achieve our Mission: Working together as a team, we will end the predictive value of race, class, gender, and special capacities for our children’s success through high-quality teaching and learning for all. We seek to build relationships with families and communities to ensure that every student succeeds. We will know every student.
Currently, ACPS is undergoing an audit of our instructional practices through a partnership with Bellweather. Through this audit, we are focused on the essential question:
Why are pass rates for ACPS students of color on the Virginia Standards of Learning (SOLs) for K-5 reading, K-5 math, and high school Algebra I lower than the averages for other students of color in the state and lower than their peers in other demographic groups in ACPS? The new Assistant Superintendent for Instruction will be charged with leading implementation of the audit’s recommendations.
The candidate must have the appropriate Virginia certification and the background, skills, and abilities essential for excellence in educational leadership.
GENERAL DEFINITION OF WORK:
The Assistant Superintendent for Instruction provides leadership and coordination for Pre-K - 12 curricular, assessment, and instructional programs. This Superintendent’s Cabinet Level position oversees all instructional programming as well as programming for Special Education and Student Services, Federal Programs (Title 1, ESOL and World Languages, Homeless, Migrant), Intervention, and Home School. This position ensures full implementation of the division's curriculum, assessment, and instruction model leading to the accomplishment of the ACPS Strategic Plan, Learning for All, and alignment with the key levers of the Virginia Standards of Learning, ACPS Framework for Quality Learning, Professional Learning Community model, and Educator Performance Appraisal. This position ensures full implementation of the division’s Instructional Coaching model.
● Coordinates and implements curriculum and instructional decisions that support the successful achievement of the instructional goals of the Virginia Standards of Learning, the Division Strategic Plan including the Goals, Vision, and Mission of the School Division, and the School Board/Superintendent Priorities;
● Establishes and monitors standards of performance for the evaluation of student progress and directs continuous evaluation of the instructional programs based upon student performance trend data;
● Coordinate and collaborate with Superintendent’s Cabinet members to implement and sustain the educational enterprise of ACPS;
● Monitors effective implementation of curricula, assessment, and instruction in all schools;
● Oversees the development of all division-level curricular unit frameworks and common assessments;
● Collaborates on an ongoing basis with the Director of Professional Development to ensure alignment with key instructional strategies and programming;
● Collaborates directly with principals regarding staffing standards and expectations of structures and scheduling.
● Supervises multiple directors in the Office of Instruction;
● Oversees the selection of learning resources for division adoption;
● Works collaboratively with Department of Accountability, Research, and Technology in the development and monitoring of division-level assessments and benchmarks;
● Provides leadership for school-based instructional coaching programming that provides content-specific, technological, and pedagogical support for teachers;
● Leads division initiatives to improve student achievement within all student membership groups;
● Conducts ongoing evaluations of the instructional programs with appropriate reports to the Superintendent.
● Provides leadership for intervention services that are coordinated across the school division;
● Oversees and assists in the development of federal program grants that comply with federal mandates
● Ensures that federal program regulations are monitored and managed;
● Manages and monitors all federal program monies;
● Identifies, recommends, and monitors division-level funds for instructional programs;
● Coordinates and reviews state reports;
● Serves as the division’s administrative representative to appropriate curriculum, assessment and instruction organizations
● Assists in the creation of school board agenda items and the development of school board agendas;
● Works regularly with the School Board in area of assignment;
● Performs other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Graduation from an accredited graduate program with emphasis in curriculum and instruction required; Doctorate degree in school administration, curriculum and instruction or a related field preferred. Minimum of 10 years of successful teaching and administrative experience, with leadership experiences in increasingly responsible roles in education. Must hold or be eligible for a Virginia teaching license with endorsement in Administration and Supervision PK-12. Such alternatives to the above qualifications as may be appropriate and acceptable will be considered.
- Closing date for applications: April 13, 2023
- Albemarle County School District selects finalists to interview: April 21, 2023
- Interviews with the Albemarle County School District: late April 2023
- Selection of new Assistant Superintendent: early May 2023
- Appoint new Assistant Superintendent: mid-May 2023
- Start date: July 1, 2023
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert