Living Environment Science Teacher in Bed Stuy
- Bedford Stuyvesant New Beginnings Charter School
- Brooklyn, New York
- Salary Range $55,000-$80,000 annually commensurate with qualification and experience
- Job Category
- Teaching, Science Teacher, Earth / Physical Science Teacher
- Grade Level
- Middle School
- Job Type
Bed-Stuy New Beginnings:
Bedford Stuyvesant New Beginnings Charter School is an elementary and middle school proudly serving the students in our neighborhood in Brooklyn, affectionately known worldwide as 'Bed-Stuy'. Opened in 2010, we serve more than 670 scholars in Kindergarten - Eighth Grade through the pursuit of 21st century learning, project based & service learning, and traditional coursework strategies, students will be prepared to succeed in academically competitive schools as well as become responsible citizens of the global community.
We offer you the opportunity to shape the future: one scholar at a time. Each BSNBCS Scholar (present and future) deserves the chance to receive the quality education they need to help prepare them for academic success and growth. You also deserve to work in environment that is collaborative, fosters professional growth and development, and that empowers each staff member to take ownership of the learning environment in their classrooms or functional area. This is your chance to join a great team with the intent of teaching young minds, helping our scholars grow, work in key roles within the school, and to develop your career.
Our Middle School Living Environment Science Teachers:
We are looking for dynamic and creative Science Teachers who will take a creative and entrepreneurial approach to teaching and bring the learning environment to life for our scholars in grades 6-8. Our Middle School Science Teachers bring science to life for our scholars by developing student understanding of living environment sciences through the development of critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
We foster a culture of excitement about learning for our students by partnering together to create vibrant learning environments focused on project- and inquiry-based learning. As a Science Teacher, we want you to maximize student mastery of living environment sciences by going beyond simply teaching the concepts of science by enabling your scholars to develop analytical skills that will help them to better learn the material!
A day in the life of our Middle School Math Teachers:
- You will collaborate with your fellow teachers to ensure our curriculum meets and exceeds the common core standards of learning.
- You will support the development and delivery of a rigorous cutting edge Living Environment Science program that strives to develop scholars as problem solvers and analytical thinkers.
- You will partner with your co-teacher to create and implement creative lesson plans based on the needs of your scholars and that are in accordance with the BSNBCS Mission.
- You will work closely with peers and school administrators to develop multifaceted curriculum that integrates multiple topics and approaches to meet the needs of your scholars.
- We want you to take an entrepreneurial approach to your curriculum, teaching methods, and optional duties that allows you to be flexible, forward looking, and creative.
- You’ll need to be aware of the school’s strategic initiatives and incorporate them into your work to ensure compliance with the BSNBCS Mission.
- You’ll regularly report student progress while maintaining accurate and up to date records related to scholars’ achievement and performance.
- You will assist students with preparing for any required New York State exams.
- You’ll take an active role in your professional development by identifying and creating opportunities that expand your skills as an educator.
- Communication is important, so you will communicate frequently with scholars, parents, colleagues, and other school staff members with information that is pertinent to your scholars and their performance.
- BSNBCS puts a big focus on our community, so you will need to take an active role in community outreach.
- You’ll need a strong understanding of and ability to implement the BSNBCS Mission, Vision and Values.
- Learning should be fun, so we want you to enjoy teaching and make every effort to make the learning environment engaging and exciting for your scholars!
What you need to bring to the table:
- You MUST have a valid and current New York State Teacher Certification. (If you are not certified to teach in New York, you must be eligible for certification reciprocity from another state.)
- You MUST possess at least a bachelor’s degree; preferably in Education or a related field.
- You MUST clear a fingerprint background check to work in any school in NY, so we require all teachers to be cleared through IdentoGo prior to starting employment with us. This cannot be waived and must be complete PRIOR to starting employment with us.
- You must have a measurable and proven track record of teaching success in a NY District or Charter School
- You must have at least two years of classroom teaching experience, preferably in an urban school.
What we offer you:
- A full-time position with a competitive salary that is commensurate with your experience and qualifications
- Amazing benefits! As a member of the team, your care and well-being are a top priority. You will have a great benefits package that is not only affordable but includes all the perks and benefits you deserve!
- Enhanced Benefits! Our enhanced benefits program provides funds for each employee to use toward physical, mental, emotional and financial well-being; to include financial support for certification, college costs, and student loan debt.
- The opportunity to shape the future. Each of our scholars has the potential to do great things. All they need is you to help show them how they can succeed!
- A friendly and collaborative working environment: Our classrooms use a co-teaching model that encourages partnership and collaboration with your fellow teachers. We provide weekly professional learning community engagement and opportunities to participate in school wide activities!
- The change to grow as a professional: You will be offered many opportunities to refine your skills and grow as a professional educator through quality professional development opportunities offered throughout the year!
- A learning environment that is innovative and creative: You will be empowered to be to take ownership of the learning environment in your classroom through 21st learning that is focused in project based, and inquiry based learning systems!
Applications are accepted on an ongoing basis. If your qualifications and experience are a match for our positions, we will contact you for an initial phone interview.
At Bedford Stuyvesant New Beginnings Charter School (BSNBCS) we grow responsible global residents. Going beyond just the development and delivery of rigorous curriculum and challenging academics, we strive to prepare our scholars for growth in the global community through encouragement and empowerment.
Our Mission and Vision is to join together as a community of educators, families, and community members to create a supportive and rigorous academic environment for all students. We do this through the pursuit of 21st century learning, project and service based learning, and traditional coursework. Our goal is to help each of our scholars be prepared to succeed in being academically competitive as well as to become responsible members of the global community.
Staff and scholars alike work within the guidelines outlined in our core values:
BSNBCS Core Values: T.H.R.I.V.E.
Temperantia - Self-Control - Our students and staff understand that self-control and self-discipline are keys to success. In order to succeed academically and become responsible citizens, students must follow directions the first time they are given. They must stay focused and follow the school rules to maintain a positive and safe learning environment.
Humanitas - Kindness - Our focus on service learning and helping others is part of the foundation of our school. Being kind to others means being caring, helpful, and understanding of others, without expecting anything in return.
Respectus - Respect - Our school community is built on respect. Learning Coaches (teachers) respect students by treating them with fairness and having high expectations for them. Students respect themselves, their peers, their teachers, and their school environment.
Industria - Hard Work - Staff, students, and families understand that hard work is essential. Hard work is doing whatever it takes to achieve your goals. It means overcoming mistakes and not giving up.
Veritas - Truth - BSNBCS believes that honesty is the best policy. Lying, cheating and stealing are not tolerated.
Excellentia - Excellence - In order to achieve academic excellence, BSNBCS believes in committing ourselves to the character values defined above. Good character and academic excellence go hand in hand.
Through the pursuit of excellence and in the spirit of collaboration while being the embodiment of the adage it takes a village to raise a child, we are proud to serve our community as we continue to encourage and empower our scholars to reach their full potential. As our motto states, we bring our scholars “Ad Summum”…to the top!
Check us out at: http://bsnbcs.org/careers
You can also find us on Glassdoor! Look for Bedford Stuyvesant New Beginnings Charter School!
82 Lewis Ave
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert