Superintendent, Aurora Public Schools
- Hazard, Young, Attea & Associates
- Aurora, Colorado
- Base salary range: $262,350 - $322,555 (based on experience); and a comprehensive benefits plan.
- Job Category
- Administrator, Superintendent
- Job Type
Aurora Public Schools is seeking a Superintendent beginning on July 1, 2023, with a base salary range expected to be $262,350 to $322,555 (based on experience); and a comprehensive benefits plan. Aurora Public Schools (APS) is a very diverse school district located just east of Denver, CO. The current K-12 enrollment for Aurora Public Schools is over 37,000 students.
Belief Statement (https://youtu.be/tcjqiir-0tY): At Aurora Public Schools, we believe that learning opportunities should be as varied and diverse as the world our students live in. Every day, we work with our community to break down barriers so that students can engage to their fullest potential and shape their own paths forward. When we advocate alongside students and their families, the future belongs to everyone.
The APS Board of Education is a group of citizens elected by the voters to provide leadership and establish policies for the school district. The seven-member Board is elected at large. Members serve four-year terms and receive no monetary compensation. The Board follows a student outcomes focused governance model.
Under this model, the APS Board adopted its set of results and limitations (https://boe.aurorak12.org/governance/) in September 2022. Results reflect what the community wants its students to know and be able to do while limitations reflect the community’s values for how the school system will behave as it seeks to accomplish the results. While the school board exists to represent the vision and values of the community, the job of the superintendent is to implement the vision and values of the community as described to them by the board via the results and limitations.
APS 2026: Faces of the Future (https://aps2026.aurorak12.org/) is the district’s strategic plan, which builds on the success of APS 2020 (the district’s previous strategic plan). Its vision is that every student shapes a successful future. The APS Board of Education and Leadership Team gathered feedback from students, staff, families, community and business members to develop APS 2020.
There are 63 schools in APS: four (4) child development centers, 25 elementary schools, seven (7) P-8 / K-8 schools, six (6) middle schools, one (1) Grades 6-12 academy, six (6) high schools, one (1) vocational/technical college, one (1) gifted and talented K-8 school, 11 charter schools and one (1) home school support program.
Student and District demographics are as follows:
- Native American 0.7%
- Asian 4.9%
- Black 17.9%
- Hispanic 56.7%
- White 13.4%
- Native Hawaiian/ Pacific Islander 1.0%
- Two or More Races 5.5%
- APS students come from more than 130 countries and speak over 160 different languages.
- 42.0% of students speak English as a second language; of these, 77.8% are native Spanish speakers.
- 74.2% of the students receive free or reduced lunch.
- 13.4% of the students benefit from special education programs.
- General fund budget for 2022-23 is $473 million.
- 77 cents of every dollar from the APS operating budget goes directly to support the instructional program.
- For more information visit the district website at http://aurorak12.org.
PLEASE INCLUDE IN YOUR FRONTLINE APPLICATION:
- Cover letter (stating interest and unique qualifications for the position) be sure to save the name of the district in the document title
- Full resume/vitae
- Three letters of recommendation
- Contact information of three additional references different than the reference letters
- Copy of superintendent license (regardless of state) or evidence of eligibility for Superintendent license
- A written response (two page maximum) to the following prompt:
Describe how your leadership has improved student outcomes and performance. How have you specifically influenced and been involved with increasing student academic achievement? Please be specific about indicators and consider the full array of students you serve.
Tentative Search Timeline:
March 10 - Deadline to Apply
Week of March 13 - HYA to present slate of candidates to Board of Education
Week of March 20 and 27 - First round of interviews with Board of Education
Early April - Finalists day in the district
Mid April - Final interviews with Board of Education
Late April/Early May - Board of Education approves contract and announces new Superintendent
July 1, 2023 - Superintendent officially begins with Aurora Public Schools
For questions regarding the Aurora Public Schools superintendent search contact:
- Mike Richie, Hazard, Young, Attea & Associates Email: email@example.com
- Micah Ali, Hazard, Young, Attea & Associates Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Scott Siegfried, Hazard, Young, Attea & Associates Email: email@example.com
Apply Here: https://hyasearch.com/job/superintendent-aurora-co/
Hazard, Young, Attea & Associates (HYA) is one of the oldest and largest education consulting firms with over 30 years of experience in executive search and education consulting. Since 1987, HYA has provided consulting services for education leaders to employ school executives, address issues related to student performance, and support aspects of school district operations.
HYA has successfully matched thousands of school systems with exceptionally talented leaders, and has served school systems across the nation, large and small, urban and rural. HYA Associates are located all across the country to conveniently serve clients with a local focus, and national reach.
With a proven track record, deep roots in executive search and leadership development, sector knowledge to drive strategic planning and a national lens, HYA partners with schools and their leaders to improve education.
909 W. Euclid Ave
#926 (PO Box)
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert