Provides leadership and manages the daily activities of the School Counseling Department at the assigned secondary school. Supervises and mentors school counselors and ensures the effective utilization of staff and resources. Essential Job Functions
- Manages the daily activities of the school counseling department at the assigned school.
- Supervises and mentors school counselors and assigned clerical staff in the day-to-day operation of the department and conducts regular meetings to disseminate information.
- Provides leadership in the implementation of academic, personal/social and career guidance and counseling programs and keeps abreast of the latest developments, techniques and research in the profession.
- Provides overall coordination of special activities/events involving the school counseling department of the assigned school to include new student orientation programs.
- Serves as a liaison between the assigned school and community resource groups, feeder schools and post-secondary educational institutions regarding school counseling related activities.
- Implements a comprehensive and efficient system for maintaining records of school counseling services and student records at the assigned school.
- Demonstrates commitment to improving professional competence.
- Assesses student learning on an ongoing basis and alters instruction to meet group/individual needs.
- Uses the curriculum of the district to plan daily instructional activities.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
Extensive knowledge of the concepts, principles, and methodologies of school counseling including; individual and group counseling, teaching, test interpretation, research and evaluation, curriculum development and student placement. Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing. Demonstrated ability in decision making, problem analysis, conflict resolution, interpersonal relations and long range planning. Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and priorities as well as the high level work of department staff. Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and collegially with all levels of the organization, including senior leadership, principals and teachers. Requirements
Post-graduate certification/licensure endorsement in elementary, middle or high school counseling by the Virginia Department of Education. Master's degree with emphasis in school counseling counseling.
- Minimum of 18 years of age.
- Possession of a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accepted institution.
- Possession of the requirements for the applicable teacher license.
In addition to the on-line application, teacher applicants are required to submit:Transcripts
Both undergraduate and graduate transcripts must be submitted. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable.References
Applicants must submit two (2) references as a part of their application package. Applicants with zero years teaching experience should submit references from their cooperating teacher and university supervisor. Applicants with recent
teaching experience must provide references from principals and/or superintendents from all contracted teaching experiences within the past three (3) years. If experience is not within the past three (3) years, references from the last contracted work experience should be provided. The teacher reference form may be accessed via the link below.
Teacher Reference formCopy of Teaching LicenseComplete Application Package
Applications for teaching positions will not be evaluated until complete packets, to include transcripts, teaching licenses, teacher assessment scores (Praxis II, etc.), and references are received. To expedite application review, these documents may be scanned and attached to the on-line application. The documents may also be mailed or hand delivered to:Chesterfield County Public Schools
Department of Human Resources
9900 Krause Road
Chesterfield, VA 23832
Applicants considered for employment must successfully complete the following background investigations/tests:
- Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) Criminal History Investigation
- State Police Criminal History Investigation
- Child Protective Services ( CPS) Investigation
- Tuberculosis Screening/Test
Chesterfield County Public Schools assures Equal Employment Opportunities for employees as required by Federal and State Orders and Laws. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential tasks. This job description is intended to accurately reflect the position activities and requirements. However, administration reserves the right to modify, add, or remove duties and assign other duties as necessary. It is not intended to be and should not be construed as an all-inclusive list of all the responsibilities, skills, or working conditions associated with the position and does not imply an employment contract.