Supervises bus driver supervisors, bus drivers, and transportation attendants; arranges student transportation and related school bus maintenance activities for assigned routes within a designated sector of Fairfax County.Location:
Transportation SupervisorPercent Full-Time:
Full TimeContract Length:
260-Day ContractSalary Grade
[Salary Information] :
Unified Scale-Schedule A/Grade 016Pay Frequency:
- Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from high school or possession of a General Equivalency Diploma (GED) certificate.
- Four (4) years of progressively more responsible bus transportation experience, two (2) years as a school bus driver, and one (1) year as a bus driver supervisor.
- A valid driver's license and a five year, satisfactory driving record from the Department of Motor Vehicles that shows within the preceding five years, there have been no convictions of driving under the influence of alcohol or controlled substances, and no assignments to any alcohol safety action program or driver alcohol rehabilitation program; and within the preceding 12 months, the applicant has not been convicted of two or more moving traffic violations or has not been required to attend a driver improvement clinic by the Commissioner of the Department of Motor Vehicles, and has no charge of reckless driving with the previous 11 years.
- May be required to operate a commercial motor vehicle, as defined below, and required to possess a commercial driver's license CDL-B with P and S (passenger and school bus) endorsements.
- Commercial Motor Vehicle is defined as a motor vehicle or combination of motor vehicles used in commerce to transport passengers or property if the motor vehicle has any of the following:
- A gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001 or more pounds inclusive of a towed unit with a gross vehicle weight rating of more than 10,000 pounds.
- A gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001 or more pounds.
- Is designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver.
- Is of any size and is used in the transportation of hazardous materials requiring placards.
- Minimum age requirement of 21 years.
- Applicants must have a satisfactory pre-employment physical examination and a completed physician's certificate (School Bus Driver's Application for Physician Certificate, form EB.001) which is required under the provision of Section 22.1-178 of the Code of Virginia and Regulations of the Virginia Board of Education) with controlled substance testing, annual physical examinations, and random tests for use of controlled substances and alcohol, as prescribed by the Virginia Board of Education and FCPS.
- Successful completion of the driver-training program offered by the FCPS.
- Knowledge of safe, proper, and courteous motor vehicle operating procedures.
- Ability to learn state regulations and laws pertaining to the operation of school buses.
- Ability to read and speak the English language sufficiently to converse on the two-way radio with passengers, public officials, and the general public.
- Ability to read a standard road map and have knowledge of the local street and road system of Fairfax County. May require interstate travel.
- Ability to interact positively with, gain the respect of, and maintain discipline over student passengers to ensure that behavior is controlled and not distractive to safe driving.
- Ability to assist special-needs student riders.
- Ability to work with attendants in managing all riders.
- Ability to read, understand, and carry out oral and written instructions.
Preferred Posting Title:
Transportation SupervisorJob Type: