Below is specific information for you to consider about this position.
Job Title: Special Education Assistant - Kenny
and Requisition ID number: 98309
Close Date:11:59 PM on 12/20/2022
Organizational Unit: Kenny Elementary (10000043)
Site: Kenny (0135)
FTE: 20 hours/week (5 extra hours)
; this is based on full-time equivalency with 1.0 being full time
Functional Area: Paraprofessional
Resume and Cover Letter are mandatory to apply for any position.
Following July 15th, current MPS Special Education Assistants are ineligible for voluntary transfers within their job title through the end of the school year. The SEA transfer process for the following school year will reopen in early spring. (MFT #59 Contract Article 20.3) ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Provide support services to children with moderate to severe disabilities and Assist MPS staff to facilitate educational functions and other services that maintains a safe and productive learning environment, sensitive to the needs and legal rights of Special Education students; work with students to improve personal skills and reinforce classroom learning.
- Assist students in learning processes through reinforcement of positive behavior, individual instruction, socialization and good communications.
- Monitor student activities, promote respect, explain social norms and disciplinary consequences, de-escalate personal confrontations.
- Maintain behavior documentation, written observations and anecdotal information files for Support and Advocacy for Independent Living Program (SAIL), Individualized Education Program (IEP), and Functional Behavioral Assessments (FBA).
- Monitor work, correct papers and transition students for medications, meals, buses and classes.
- Attend to and provide for students' daily hygiene, personal and health related cares, as directed by licensed staff. Assist students in community, recreational, school and vocational training. Provide assistance to students in classrooms and after-school programs.
One of the following:
- Associate's degree or higher in Education or closely related area
- Completed 90 quarter or 60 semester college credits from an accredited institution
- A passing score of 460 (or higher) on the ParaPro Assessment AND either a high school diploma or a GED certificate (For more information on the ParaPro Assessment, contact Educational Testing Service at 1-800-772-9476 or www.ets.org/parapro )
Two (2) years of professional experience working with children.LICENSE AND CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
First Aid/CPR/AED, Crisis Prevention Intervention (CPI) training, and Special Education Orientation is required within one year. PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT
A job in this category may require walking or standing to a significant degree, and working with special needs children. Must be able to frequently lift up to 50 pounds. Eligibility for position is based on passing the required pre-placement exam.
Final candidates may be invited to interview with a committee. Final appointment to this position will be contingent upon passing a criminal background check. COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY: Diversity is one of Minneapolis Public Schools core values and is essential to our goal of putting children first and making them college-ready. Diversity of our workforce provides us with a competitive advantage and allows us to better understand, communicate with and educate our diverse student body. Minneapolis Public Schools will not deny anyone the opportunity for training or employment because of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender or gender identity, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, disability, sexual orientation, age, family care leave status, or veteran status.Minneapolis Public Schools strongly encourages diverse candidates to apply.