We believe educational inequity is the most pressing social problem facing our country and the civil rights issue of our day. Mastery exists to help solve this problem. Our ultimate goal is to create a model urban school district that serves all students with excellence. We are organized around one driving mission: All students learn the academic and personal skills they need to be truly prepared for postsecondary success and able to pursue their dreams. To fulfill this mission, we attend to the whole child - academically and emotionally - matching high expectations for students with high levels of support.
Mastery Charter Schools is a nonprofit network of more than 24 schools serving over 14,000 students in Philadelphia and Camden. We are the largest turnaround school operator in the nation and have been lauded by President Obama and the US Department of Education for our ability to dramatically boost academic achievement in historically low-performing schools.
We know neighborhood schools matter, all students deserve access to a great education, and the people in our buildings can grow and develop sustainably to make the biggest impact possible in this work.Mastery's Equity Vision:
We believe that diversity, equity, and inclusion are essential to achieving our mission.
We strive to be an anti-racist school district that eliminates the inequities in academic achievement that limit our students' choices; that cultivates classrooms where every student is affirmed, supported, and held to high expectations; and that nurtures a diverse organization where students, staff, and families are valued, respected, and included.This role is eligible for a $2,000 bonus as well as up to $5,000 for relocation expenses!New-to-Mastery Teachers can expect a starting annual salary of between $52,000-$76,500 based on years' experience and level of education.The Opportunity:
Kindergarten through 2nd grade classrooms are self-contained and, for most of our campuses, starting in 3rd grade our teachers become subject-specific. All of our elementary teachers at Mastery work to close the literacy gap through incorporating culturally-relevant and rigorous texts and topics into lessons. At Mastery we value Continuous Improvement and want you to learn and grow in your craft. We utilize a team of Assistant Principals, central-office coaches, and school-based content teams to provide every teacher coaching and feedback. We have professional development or peer collaboration time built into our calendar every Wednesday (when students are dismissed early).
In joining our K-2 Program, you are signing up to give our students the best start possible on their academic journeys. You leverage 180 minutes of daily literacy instruction (in small groups as well as whole class) to help the Fundations, Guided Reading, IRA, and Readers and Writers Workshop curricular materials you are provided come alive. You'll also use the Eureka Math curriculum during your 90 minutes of daily math instruction. Across the rest of your day you help ensure your students' social emotional and science/social studies skills set them up for long term success.Duties and Responsibilities:
Education, Experience, and Skills:
- Drive student achievement and set high expectations for all students
- Commit to professional growth, self-reflection, a receptiveness to feedback, and a desire to continuously improve
- Implement rigorous and appropriate lesson plans, assignments, and assessments in cooperation with Mastery school-based leadership and curricular resources developed by Mastery's central office Academic Team
- Work closely with school leaders to analyze student assessment data to measure progress and use data to inform instruction
- Collaborate in grade level teams to discuss student work, share best practices, plan events for joy and humor, and ensure student mastery of standards
- Engage families in their children's education by building relationships and maintaining regular communication
- Demonstrate genuine interest, belief, and care for students' personal and academic success
- Respond positively and effectively to challenges with a solutions-oriented resiliency
Mastery's Benefits Package:
- Bachelor's degree required with a record of personal, professional, and/or academic achievement
- Teacher certification - completed or in process
- Demonstrated expertise in subject area
- Outstanding instructional skills driven by data and delivered through rigorous and engaging strategies
We offer a full benefits program and opportunities for professional growth. Some of our most popular benefits include our 403(b) retirement plan for PA employees
(with a 5% match from Mastery
), enrollment in the State of New Jersey Pension Plan for NJ employee
s, a robust Employee Assistance Program
, mental health and counseling programs
, an annual Professional Development Fund
, and discounts and perks
at a myriad of retailers, travel organizations, insurance providers, and so much more, as well as a Benefits VIP Helpdesk
to help you navigate various benefits-related topics!Please go here to see all of our Benefits offerings!Mastery's Annual Calendar:
As you plan to make Mastery your new work home, please feel free to review our PA Academic Calendar for SY 22/23 and our NJ Academic Calendar for SY 22/23. We like to think our calendar is a benefit of working here too!
Mastery Charter Schools is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages applications from people of all backgrounds. Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience. UPDATE AS OF January 2023 - Please review Mastery's Health and Safety Plans here to learn about our approach to vaccination and testing as well as our response to COVID-19. For ongoing positions, Mastery roles are designated as in-person, with regular on-site responsibilities, unless otherwise noted. As such, Employees must be able to support Mastery Schools' academic plan and business strategies on-site - at a Mastery campus - as required. Exceptions to this requirement will be considered on an individualized basis.