The Maryland State Department of Education is dedicated to supporting a world-class educational system that prepares all students for college and career success in the 21st century. With excellent stewardship from our divisions, we oversee State and federal programs that support the needs of a diverse population - students, teachers, principals, and other educators throughout Maryland.
State Salary Grade 22
Salary Range: $79,343.00 - $127,637.00
*State Salary Guidelines apply for current State employees.
STATE OF MARYLAND BENEFITS
LOCATION OF POSITION
Nancy S. Grasmick Education Building
200 West Baltimore Street
Baltimore, MD 21201
Main Purpose of Job
Under the direction of the Executive Director of Governmental Relations, the position will serve as the lead analyst responsible for completing analysis, research, and making recommendations to the State Superintendent regarding critical policy and legislations that impact Maryland's students, families, and communities. The position will lead the agency's work to create, modify, refresh, or retire appropriate Code of Maryland Regulations (COMAR) as a result of legislative or policy changes and will work collaboratively within the Department to research, recommend, and draft educational policy for the State of Maryland and legislative review. Additionally, the position will track key legislative progress at the federal, State, and local levels, while assisting on special projects.
This position leverages critical thinking and analysis and communication skills to ensure policies of the Department are aligned to best-in-class research, accurate, and easily understood by stakeholders.
- Leads and Manages efforts to research, draft, and present legislative changes to statutes and/or introduce new legislations in collaboration with key stakeholders.
- Coordinates and prepares regulatory changes to COMAR on behalf of the Department. Responsible for life cycle management of COMAR from creation to retiring of the regulations.
- Works to include all key divisions and offices including assistance to local education agencies (LEA) related to outreach, intervention, compliance monitoring, consultation, and technical assistance.
- Assists with new initiatives to improve organizational efficiency, visibility, and organization-wide leadership development and Works with internal divisions to identify areas of improvement through legislation.
- Prepares the Department for the Maryland General Assembly legislative sessions including the preparation of talking points, factsheets, testimony, and additional legislative outreach.
- Coordinates the drafting of remarks and/or talking points for speaking engagements/presentations and provides review of materials written on behalf of the State Superintendent.
EDUCATION: Bachelor's Degree from an accredited four-year college or university in Public Policy, Political Science, Public Administration, or other similar field.
EXPERIENCE: Four (4) years of experience as policy or program analyst or administrative experience in or affiliated with Education Programs.
- A Master's Degree or higher may be substituted for two years of experience as defined above.
- Additional experience as defined above may be substituted for the required education at a rate of one year for 30 semester credit hours.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Preference will be given to applicants who possess the following preferred qualification(s). Include clear and specific information on your application regarding your qualifications.
- Knowledge of Education programs and associated legislation and statute;
- Knowledge of State and national public school legislation;
- Demonstrable skills in legislative interpretation, analysis, and reporting;
- Skill in identifying problems & negotiating solutions;
- Skill in developing and presenting responses, remarks and talking points;
- Ability to analyze data & make sound decisions;
- Ability to meet established timelines;
- Ability to effectively communicate with all levels of officials (both inside and outside the agency).
Applicants must consent to State and FBI (CJIS) background check as a routine procedure for all employees.
Please make sure that you provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. Successful candidates will be ranked as Best Qualified, Better Qualified, or Qualified. The resulting list of qualified candidates will be in effect for at least one year.
STATE OF MARYLAND BENEFITS
Applicants must complete the MD State Government online application for employment -AND- submit their professional resume. The application and resume must clearly demonstrate that the applicant satisfies the minimum qualifications for the position. Applications must be complete to be considered including all related job duties, even if those are also listed on an attached resume. Additional required materials may be uploaded with the online application, submitted to the fax number, or mailed to the address listed.
If you are unable to apply online, paper applications can be obtained from the link below and be faxed to 410-333-8950 or mailed to MSDE Office of Human Resources, 200 W. Baltimore Street, Baltimore, MD 21201. If there is a supplemental questionnaire, this must be completed and sent in with your paper application. Postmarks will not be accepted.
Inquiries can be made to 410-767-0019, TDD 410-333-3045. Appropriate accommodations can be made for individuals with disabilities. If you have difficulty with your user account or have general questions about this online application system, please contact the MD Department of Budget and Management, Recruitment and Examination Division at 410-767-4850. TTY Users: Call via Maryland Relay.
Proof of eligibility to work is required in compliance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act. Any misrepresentation of academic or experience requirements for this position may result in non-selection or termination of employment.
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining, and promoting employees who are reflective of the State's diversity. Individuals with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply. We thank our Veterans for their service to our country.
All application materials must be received in our office by the Closing Date.