Non Instructional - All Titles/Principal Payroll ClerkDate Posted:
Payroll - 303 NEWARK BOARD OF EDUCATION
HUMAN RESOURCE SERVICES
765 BROAD STREET, NEWARK, NEW JERSEY 07102
ROGER LEÓN, SUPERINTENDENT
Principal Payroll Clerk
Office of Payroll
(Pending availability of funds and Board of Education approval)
The Superintendent invites qualified and interested persons to apply for the position of Principal Payroll Clerk within the Office of Payroll Services.
This title is governed by the New Jersey Civil Service Commission; meaning that if you are the successful candidate for this position, you will be placed as a provisional employee. At a later date you will be required to take an examination administered by the Civil Service Commission. Candidates must score and rank high enough on this examination in order to remain in the position as a permanent employee. DEFINITION:
Under general supervision of a Supervisory Payroll Clerk or other supervisor, performs complex and highly responsible clerical work involved in and relating to the review, verification, and preparation of payroll or personnel records which require the frequent exercise of independent judgment, and/or supervises a small group of clerical workers in a payroll or payroll and personnel unit; does related work as required. NOTE:
The definition and examples of work for this title are for illustrative purposes only. A particular position using this title may not perform all duties listed in this job specification. Conversely, all duties performed on the job may not be listed. QUALIFICATIONS
- Two (2) years of experience in work involving payroll processing or personnel work.
- Appointees will be required to possess a driver's license valid in New Jersey only if the operation of a vehicle, rather than employee mobility, is necessary to perform the essential duties of the position.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- Assigns and instructs individuals and groups engaged in payroll or personnel activities and supervises the performance of their work.
- Reviews and checks payroll or payroll and personnel records, statements, documents, certificates, or time and attendance records.
- Prepares regular, supplemental, and overtime payrolls, adds or deletes employees, makes other appropriate changes including union deductions, taxes, charities, pension, and so forth.
- Processes pension membership applications, beneficiary changes, retirement, and loan applications as well as health insurance applications and changes.
- Completes unemployment requests for wage and separation information.
- Computes overtime, emergency rates, and leaves of absence requiring the interpretation and application of relevant rules and regulations.
- Personally receives, reviews, and checks regular and supplemental paychecks from centralized payroll and separates by payroll and region prior to distribution.
- Prepares and processes personnel and/or payroll forms with responsibility for ensuring that all pertinent information has been included and is accurate and ensures that all applicable rules, regulations, and procedures are adhered to.
- Reviews the work of the unit.
- Works with and advises department employees.
- Keeps the supervisor and/or management informed of relevant deadlines, changes in rules and regulations, and related pertinent information.
- Assists the professional staff in the development of new and revised personnel and/or payroll policies and procedures.
- Makes initial determination and correct application of a variety of pay schedules, grades, and rates of pay involving the interpretation and application of related rules, regulations, and instructions relating to varied types of nonstandard pay actions and pay plans.
- Consults with representatives of the Department of the Treasury or other outside agencies to exchange information and discuss problems related to payroll rules and standards.
- Assists employees in completing and processing forms and applications relating to retirement, insurance, payroll deductions, and record changes.
- Keeps abreast of changes in rules and regulations.
- Operates various office machines.
- Maintains and ensures the confidentiality of essential records and files.
- Will be required to learn to utilize various types of electronic and/or manual recording and computerized information systems used by the agency, office, or related units.
- Knowledge of modern office methods, practices, routines, and equipment.
- Knowledge of relevant rules and regulations concerning salary increments, bonuses, and authorized deductions.
- Ability to comprehend, interpret, and apply rules and regulations in accord with established procedures and policies of the unit.
- Ability to accurately prepare detailed, technical, and confidential payroll forms and documents.
- Ability to assign and instruct individuals and groups engaged in the payroll and/or personnel work of the unit with that of other units in the department and with outside agencies.
- Ability to make mathematical calculations.
- Ability to check and verify payroll, overtime, and supplemental payments.
- Ability to consult with representatives of the Department of the Treasury or other state and municipal agencies to exchange information and discuss problems related to payroll rules and regulations.
- Ability to use various office machines.
- Ability to maintain confidential records and files.
- Ability to learn to utilize various types of electronic and/or manual recording and information systems used by the agency, office, or related units.
- Ability to read, write, speak, understand, or communicate in English sufficiently to perform the duties of this position. American Sign Language or Braille may also be considered as acceptable forms of communication.
- Persons with mental or physical disabilities are eligible as long as they can perform essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation. If the accommodation cannot be made because it would cause the employer undue hardship, such persons may not be eligible.
Department Head SALARY, EMPLOYMENT PERIOD, AND UNION AFFILIATION
1. Salary Range: $49,233 - $52,102
2. Employment Period: Twelve (12) Months
3. Union Affiliation: Local 617 HOW TO APPLY
Newark Board of Education only accepts electronic applications. OPEN AND CLOSE DATES
Opening Date: February 1, 2022
Closing Date: February 14, 2022THE NEWARK BOARD OF EDUCATION IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/ AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER