JOB DESCRIPTION Job Description:
The teacher assistant reports directly to the Principal and works under the guidance and supervision of the principal or his designee. The teacher assistant maintains a cooperative staff relationship with all personnel functioning within the educational setting . EDUCATION TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES, RESPONSIBILITIES AND CURRICULAR LINKAGES NOTE: The safety of school children is an important responsibility of the teacher assistant program. As such, please note that all teacher assistants MUST be available for bus monitoring assignments and will be paid in accordance with the additional hours worked.
- Associate Degree, or 48 College Credits, or a passing score of 461 on the Para Pro Test.
- A Certificate of Completion of an approved Teacher Assistant Training Program, in addition to one of the above or a Bachelor's Degree that meets RIDE Standards
- Pass English Proficiency Test
- Ability to work with children and to be patient, understanding, and effective in meeting their needs.
The duties of the teacher assistant encompass a broad spectrum and include but are not limited to the following:
1. Participate in daily and long-range lesson and classroom activity planning.
2. Conduct learning exercises that are focused on the student's individual educational goals 1:1 or with small groups of students.
3. Guide students in developing positive relationships with peers and adults.
4. Assist with the supervision of pupils in the classroom, corridors, school yards, lavatories, cafeterias, etc... and on field trips.
5. Alert the teacher to special needs of individual students.
6. Collect and distribute educational materials.
7. With teacher supervision, correct students work and prescribe additional work to remediate student's weaknesses.
8. Operate machines which duplicate or copy information for distribution to pupils.
9. Assist the teacher to meet the many personal and physical needs of the child.
10. Serve as the chief source of information and help to any substitute teacher assigned in the absence of the regular teacher.
11. Utilize the strategies of Applied Behavior Analysis across all educational programming.
12. Maintain and report accurate daily data collection using individualized measurement systems for student's educational and behavioral plans.
13. Assist the teacher in devising and implementing special strategies for reinforcing behavior or academic skills based on a sympathetic understanding of individual students, their needs, interests, and abilities.
14. Maintain Crisis Intervention Certification.
15. Must be willing to intervene using appropriate crisis intervention procedures that may include but not limited to physical escorts, prolonged standing and other methods of supporting students.
16. Commit to attend ongoing professional development sessions; such as those offered by RIDE, the Providence School Department, and Local Union 1033.
17. Perform additional teacher assistant duties as requested by the principal, teacher, senior staff or BCBA.
18. Must have the ability to navigate and utilize programs such as Google and other programs that are utilized in the classroom and school.
We offer a complete benefits package to full-time employees including health care, dental, vision, retirement, deferred compensation plans, flexible spending accounts, life insurance, holidays, and Personal Time Off (PTO).