The Maryland State Department of Education is dedicated to supporting a world-class educational system that prepares all students for college and career success in the 21st century. With excellent stewardship from our divisions, we oversee State and federal programs that support the needs of a diverse population - students, teachers, principals, and other educators throughout Maryland.GRADE
State Salary Grade 24
Salary Range: $90,418 - $145,417
*State Salary Guidelines apply for current State employees. STATE OF MARYLAND BENEFITSLOCATION OF POSITION
Nancy S. Grasmick Education Building
200 West Baltimore Street
Baltimore, MD 21201Main Purpose of Job
The director of mathematics provides leadership, content area expertise, and oversight to all statewide math programs and initiatives prekindergarten through grade 12 in Maryland public schools. The position is responsible for overseeing the development and deployment of best in class, research-based support to local education agencies and early childhood education providers to implement comprehensive and equitable policies, programs, and practices aligned to Maryland's math content standards. The director of mathematics will focus on developing and implementing programs and initiatives that ensure access to secondary mathematics courses and pathways that are intentionally designed to prepare students to be college and career ready, especially those who have been historically underserved.
Additionally, the director of mathematics will spearhead the Maryland State Department of Education's collaboration and coordination with key stakeholders in the implementation of high-quality mathematics curriculum, courses, and programs that are aligned to Maryland's college and career readiness standards. The position will oversee the collaboration with diverse communities and organizations to analyze programs and strategies that promote culturally responsive teaching practices and best in class, research-based college and career readiness pathways in support of the Maryland State Department of Education's implementation of the multiyear strategic plan and the Blueprint for Maryland's Future.POSITION DUTIES
Provides direct content specific leadership and oversight to statewide mathematics programs and initiatives.
- Provides leadership for mathematics curricular design, instructional implementation, assessment, and professional development in prekindergarten through 12th grade.
- Identifies gaps and barriers in access for historically disadvantaged students to advanced mathematics courses, pathways, and programs, develops and implements solutions.
- Provides high-quality technical assistance and professional learning sessions to local education agencies and early childhood education providers to build capacity for delivering highly effective teaching.
- Provides content expertise and leadership in the development and application of instructional materials in mathematics and collaborates with MSDE workgroups to design and implement curriculum, courses, pathways, and assessments aligned to the Blueprint for Maryland's Future and the Blueprint's college and career readiness standards.
- Provides fiscal coordination and accountability for all programs and initiatives related to mathematics
- Prioritizes mathematics workstreams and timelines and assigns staff to programs and initiatives and provides direct supervision to support staff.
A Bachelor's degree in mathematics, STEM, education or a related area from an accredited college or university. Experience:
Five (5) years of experience in managing and leading mathematics and/or STEM programs in prekindergarten through 12 settings. One year of this experience must include supervising and coaching professional education staff. Notes:
- Candidates may substitute the possession of a Master's degree or the equivalent of 36 credit hours of post-baccalaureate course work in mathematics, STEM, education or a related area for two years of the required experience directly related to the position.
- The required field of education and experience are unique for this posting and are established by MSDE in accordance with Education Article, Section 2-104 of the Annotated Code of Maryland. The specific education and experience qualifications for each position are on record in the Office of Human Resources.
- Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience at a rank of Corporal/Petty Officer or higher as a commissioned officer in Education Program classifications or Education Program specialty codes in the Education field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience and education, one year of which must have been in an administrative supervisory or consultative capacity.
Documented track record of managing and leading programs and initiatives that have accelerated student achievement, especially for historically underserved students. DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Preference will be given to applicants who possess the following preferred qualification(s). Include clear and specific information on your application regarding your qualifications.
- Knowledge of mathematics and/or STEM education skills-based instruction
- Knowledge of trends, regulations, policies, and issues affecting mathematics education programs and assessment
- Knowledge of college and career readiness pathways, standards, trends, regulations, policies, and issues
- Knowledge of curriculum development
- Skill in implementing, monitoring, and evaluating education programs
- Skill collaborating with diverse communities and organizations for the purpose of analyzing programs and strategies
- Skill in developing and delivering professional development programs
- Ability to interpret and apply learning standards, policies and regulations
- Ability to organize and manage multiple tasks
- Ability to work as a team member and establish and maintain effective working relationships
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
Applicants must consent to State and FBI (CJIS) background check as a routine procedure for all employees. SELECTION PROCESS
Please make sure that you provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. Successful candidates will be ranked as Best Qualified, Better Qualified, or Qualified. The resulting list of qualified candidates will be in effect for at least one year. BENEFITSSTATE OF MARYLAND BENEFITS FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS
Applicants must complete the MD State Government online application for employment -AND- submit their professional resume
. The application and resume must clearly demonstrate that the applicant satisfies the minimum qualifications for the position. Applications must be complete to be considered including all related job duties, even if those are also listed on an attached resume. Additional required materials may be uploaded with the online application, submitted to the fax number, or mailed to the address listed.
If you are unable to apply online, paper applications can be obtained from the link below and be faxed to 410-333-8950 or mailed to MSDE Office of Human Resources, 200 W. Baltimore Street, Baltimore, MD 21201. If there is a supplemental questionnaire, this must be completed and sent in with your paper application. Postmarks will not be accepted.
Inquiries can be made to 410-767-0019, TDD 410-333-3045. Appropriate accommodations can be made for individuals with disabilities. If you have difficulty with your user account or have general questions about this online application system, please contact the MD Department of Budget and Management, Recruitment and Examination Division at 410-767-4850. TTY Users: Call via Maryland Relay.
Proof of eligibility to work is required in compliance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act. Any misrepresentation of academic or experience requirements for this position may result in non-selection or termination of employment.
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining, and promoting employees who are reflective of the State's diversity. Individuals with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply. We thank our Veterans for their service to our country.
All application materials must be received in our office by the Closing Date.