The Maryland State Department of Education is dedicated to supporting a world-class educational system that prepares all students for college and career success in the 21st century. With excellent stewardship from our divisions, we oversee State and federal programs that support the needs of a diverse population - students, teachers, principals, and other educators throughout Maryland.GRADE
State Salary Grade 22
Salary Range: $79,343.00 - $127,637.00
*State Salary Guidelines apply for current State employees. STATE OF MARYLAND BENEFITSLOCATION OF POSITION
Nancy S. Grasmick Education Building
200 West Baltimore Street
Baltimore, MD 21201Main Purpose of Job
Under the direction of the Director of Comprehensive Health and Physical Education, the Coordinator of Comprehensive Health Education provides leadership and content area expertise coordination in alignment with Maryland statutes and regulations and federal requirements for comprehensive skills-based health education programs. This position supports the Director in working with Local Education Agencies (LEAs) to develop, interpret, and implement health education programs, courses, instructional frameworks, curriculum, and policies.
Additionally, the Coordinator of Comprehensive Health Education works closely with key stakeholders in supporting health literacy for every Maryland child, especially those who have been historically underserved. This position collaborates with diverse communities and organizations to analyze programs and strategies that promote students' health and well-being, and build best in class, research-based health education pathways, such as dual enrollment, advanced placement, international baccalaureate, and comprehensive health education-based programs of study and apprenticeships. This position supports the Maryland State Department of Education's efforts in implementing the multi-year strategic plan and the Blueprint for Maryland's Future. POSITION DUTIES
Provides lead technical assistance, guidance and direction to local education agencies and other stakeholders in all phases of comprehensive skills-based health education programs by planning, developing, implementing, and evaluating phases aligned to MSDE's multi-year strategic plan and the Blueprint for Maryland's Future.
- Manages statewide workgroups focused on the development, coordination, and implementation of comprehensive health-based College and Career readiness pathways for nursing and other health professions aligned to the Blueprint for Maryland's Future and ensuring students' (including those who have been historically underserved) access to pathways across the State.
- Supports the planning and coordination of building educator, school system, and statewide capacity for implementing high-quality teaching and learning practices focused on student outcomes by engaging stakeholders in the development and review process for all components of the state standards and instructional frameworks for comprehensive health education that aligns with best in class, research-based trends.
- Provides content expertise in the development of state rubrics and frameworks for high-quality instructional materials and professional learning for comprehensive health education.
- Engages with local education agencies and conducts statewide and regional professional learning experiences for comprehensive health education focused on high-quality, research-based teaching and learning practices.
- Supports LEAs to develop and implement comprehensive health education pathways that ensure equitable access for historically disadvantaged students.
- Facilitates and coordinates the health education professional learning community as a safe space for colleagues to share and discuss problems of practice.
- Collaborates with the co-chairs of the statewide Advisory Council on Health and Physical Education; Maryland State School Health Council; and other Divisions, agencies and organizations to strengthen the development and expansion of health and physical education programs in the State including facilitation of effective health education programs for early childhood students.
- Collaborates with the Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene to coordinate the Sexual Harassment and Assault Prevention Program and HIV/AIDS annual update in alignment with state statutes and regulations.
Master's Degree or equivalent 36 credit hours of post baccalaureate course work in Education, Educational Administration/Supervision, Health Education, or a related field. Maryland certification in Health Education is preferred. EXPERIENCE:
Five (5) years of administrative or teaching experience in, or affiliated with an education program, including two years of experience in coordinating or administering an education program or service related to Health Education Programs. Notes:
- Candidates may substitute two additional years of experience directly related to the position option for the required education.
- Candidates may substitute the possession of a Doctorate degree at an accredited college or university in a field related to the position for one year of the required experience.
- The required field of education and experience are unique for each option and are established by MSDE in accordance with Education Article, Section 2-104 of the Annotated Code of Maryland. The specific education and experience qualifications for each position are on record in the Human Resource Management Branch of the Division of Business Services.
- Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a commissioned officer in Education Program classifications or Education Program specialty codes in the Education field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience and education.
One year of teaching experience in a Health Education Program. DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Preference will be given to applicants who possess the following preferred qualification(s). Include clear and specific information on your application regarding your qualifications.
- Knowledge of Health Education skills-based instruction
- Knowledge of trends, regulations, policies, and issues affecting Health Education programs and assessment
- Knowledge of the Maryland College and Career Readiness pathways, standards, trends, regulations, policies, and issues affecting Health Education Programs
- Knowledge of Health Education curriculum development; skill in implementing, monitoring, and evaluating Health Education programs
- Skill collaborating with diverse communities and organizations for the purpose of analyzing programs and strategies
- Skill in developing and presenting professional development programs
- Ability to interpret and apply laws and regulations governing Health Education programs
- Ability to organize and manage multiple tasks
- Ability to work as a team member and establish and maintain effective working relationships
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
Applicants must consent to State and FBI (CJIS) background check as a routine procedure for all employees. SELECTION PROCESS
Please make sure that you provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. Successful candidates will be ranked as Best Qualified, Better Qualified, or Qualified. The resulting list of qualified candidates will be in effect for at least one year. BENEFITSSTATE OF MARYLAND BENEFITS FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS
Applicants must complete the MD State Government online application for employment -AND- submit their professional resume
. The application and resume must clearly demonstrate that the applicant satisfies the minimum qualifications for the position. Applications must be complete to be considered including all related job duties, even if those are also listed on an attached resume. Additional required materials may be uploaded with the online application, submitted to the fax number, or mailed to the address listed.
If you are unable to apply online, paper applications can be obtained from the link below and be faxed to 410-333-8950 or mailed to MSDE Office of Human Resources, 200 W. Baltimore Street, Baltimore, MD 21201. If there is a supplemental questionnaire, this must be completed and sent in with your paper application. Postmarks will not be accepted.
Inquiries can be made to 410-767-0019, TDD 410-333-3045. Appropriate accommodations can be made for individuals with disabilities. If you have difficulty with your user account or have general questions about this online application system, please contact the MD Department of Budget and Management, Recruitment and Examination Division at 410-767-4850. TTY Users: Call via Maryland Relay.
Proof of eligibility to work is required in compliance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act. Any misrepresentation of academic or experience requirements for this position may result in non-selection or termination of employment.
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining, and promoting employees who are reflective of the State's diversity. Individuals with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply. We thank our Veterans for their service to our country.
All application materials must be received in our office by the Closing Date.