Per Diem/Per Diem Teacher AideDate Posted:
Human Resource Services - 404NEWARK BOARD OF EDUCATION HUMAN RESOURCE SERVICES 765 BROAD STREET, NEWARK, NEW JERSEY 07102 ROGER LEÓN, DISTRICT SUPERINTENDENTAnnouncement of VacancyPer Diem Aide/Paraprofessional
(Pending availability of funds and Board of Education approval)
The Superintendent invites qualified and interested persons to apply for the aforementioned position.Qualifications
As a Per Diem ParaProfessional you may fall under either of the two criteria's:
- For Per Diem Personal Aides: hold a high school diploma/GED and 5 years of experience.
- For Per Diem Teacher Aides: Associates degree OR Two years (60 credits) of college.
- Demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively in English.
- Exhibit character traits that are aligned with our core values.
- Experience working with school age children.
- Possess the ability to relate to and work with children who have special needs.
- Possess the interpersonal skills required to relate well with students, staff, and parents.
- Experience working in an urban school district or similar setting.
- Possess 21st century literacy skills including computer proficiency, email, etc.
- Experience with restorative practice or the willingness to be trained.
Bilingual candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
(Creole, Spanish, Portguese, American Sign Language, Etc) Definition
Under direction, the per diem teacher aide will provide direct aide to teachers and other certificated staff members. The teacher aide will assist in carrying out classroom activities and will support student(s) in completing their daily activities. Other related duties may be assigned to support student(s) safety and learning.Responsibilities
- Provide instructional, behavioral or daily living support under the direct supervision of a teacher.
- Provide instructional, behavioral, or physical assistance to students individually or in small groups at the direction of the teacher to reinforce and follow up instruction.
- Assist with all instructional and non-instructional tasks as assigned by the teacher within the school environment and on field trips.
- Assist with the preparation of all materials as indicated in the IEP.
- Operate and or assist in the use of student mobility devices such as, but not limited to, walker, wheelchair, braces, canes, etc.
- Assist student(s) with basic needs such as feeding and personal hygiene not limited to toileting.
- Maintain and provide daily/weekly activity logs for your assigned student(s) to teacher.
- Inform teacher of student(s) actions are communicated to appropriate staff such as teachers and administrators.
- Implement and maintain student(s) specific behavior, medical, emergency, or crisis plans.
- Assist in the maintenance of classroom discipline in accordance with established policy and procedures.
- Adapt to the student's mode of communication as necessary for instructional purposes, (e.g. iPad, Proloquo, augmentative device, etc).
- Assist in the implementation of therapy programs developed by speech and language pathologists, occupational therapists, physical therapists, and other support staff, as needed.
- Use computers and/or electronic equipment to fulfill job functions.
- Serve as a role model for students and staff in demonstrating positive attitudes, appropriate attire and grooming, and effective work ethic.
- Participate in appropriate in-services and attend required meetings.
- Maintain confidentiality of student(s) records and information.
School PrincipalSalary, Terms & Affiliation
How To Apply
- Salary Range: $15.00/hour
- Employment Period: 10 months
- Union Affiliation: NTU
Newark Board of Education only accepts electronic applications. Open and Close Dates
Opening Date: July 7, 2020
Closing Date: Until FilledEqual Employment Opportunity
THE NEWARK BOARD OF EDUCATION IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/ AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYEE