Non Instructional - All Titles/Attendance CounselorDate Posted:
Various Newark Board of Education LocationsNEWARK BOARD OF EDUCATION HUMAN RESOURCE SERVICES 765 BROAD STREET, NEWARK, NEW JERSEY 07102 ROGER LEÓN, SUPERINTENDENT ATTENDANCE COUNSELOR Office of Attendance
(Pending availability of funds and Board of Education approval)
The Superintendent invites qualified and interested persons to apply for the position of Attendance Counselor within the Office of Attendance.
This title is governed by the New Jersey Civil Service Commission; meaning that if you are the successful candidate for this position, you will be placed as a provisional employee. Upon hire, you will be required to complete a 90-Day Working test period during which your performance will be evaluated. Employee must successfully complete the designated probation period in order to remain in the position as a permanent employee. POSITION OVERVIEW
Under direction, visits schools and homes to promote school attendance, investigates absences, and determines causes of absence or delinquency; does other related duties as required. The Attendance Counselor works closely with the principal and support staff to implement the most appropriate course of action to improve student attendance.
Note: The examples of work for this title are for illustrative purposes only. A particular position using this title may not perform all duties listed in this job specification. Conversely, all duties performed on the job may not be listed. QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
BASIC FUNCTION AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university.
- Applicants who do not possess the required education may substitute experience in teaching, guidance counseling, or social work or experience in the collection and investigation of information regarding school absences on a year for year basis with thirty (30) semester hour credits being equal to one (1) year of experience.
- Appointees will be required to travel throughout the City of Newark and surrounding areas and possess a driver's license valid in New Jersey as the operation of a vehicle, rather than employee mobility, is necessary to perform essential duties of the position.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- Conducts a needs assessment of the school's previous year's attendance and establishes a school attendance improvement plan with a laser focus on the four attendance categories.
- Generates a daily attendance summary report of absences and tardiness and responds immediately with the most appropriate course of action.
- Conducts investigations and deliver legal notices to students' homes.
- Enforces individual students' corrective action to improve attendance and punctuality.
- Appraises the principal and the Office of Attendance of any trends or extreme cases of absenteeism.
- Engages families by visiting homes, makes phone calls, or uses other forms of communications to make affirmative contact with families and determines reason for absence.
- Serves on the Truancy Task Force whose duties involve: patrolling neighborhoods of Newark with the Newark Police Department in order to transport truant students to the Task Force location; transport students from Truancy Task Force location to the school where the student is registered; complete and deliver paperwork to school's Main Office for follow up.
- Prepares social case histories with clear and accurate data containing findings, conclusions, and recommendations. Collects data for legal action and, when required, appears in court.
- Investigates and gathers various information for special studies.
- Collaborates with various district leads to ensure homeless and displaced students are receiving district supports.
- Conducts address verifications.
- Cooperates with public and private welfare agencies.
- Administers school census.
- May supervise the movement of students to and from the school bus.
- Participates in the following: Perfect Attendance Initiatives, Attendance Poster Contest, Truancy Task Force, and Parent Conference days.
- Knowledge of techniques used to conduct investigations.
- Knowledge of methods likely to be successful in promoting student attendance at school.
- Knowledge of techniques used to deal with hostile individuals.
- Ability to read and interpret laws, rules, and regulations of the Board of Education, relative to school attendance, and to apply them to specific situations.
- Ability to conduct investigations.
- Ability to enforce remedial actions permitted by the Board of Education.
- Ability to gather information and prepare social case histories.
- Ability to prepare reports.
- Ability to establish and maintain records and files.
- Ability to utilize various types of electronic recording and information systems used in the District, office, or related units.
- Ability to read, write, speak, understand, and communicate in English sufficiently to perform the duties of this position. American Sign Language or Braille may also be considered as acceptable forms of communication.
- Persons with mental or physical disabilities are eligible as long as they can perform the essential functions of the job after reasonable accommodation is made to their known limitations. If the accommodations cannot be made because it would cause the employer undue hardship, such persons may not be eligible.
Department Head SALARY, TERMS & AFFILIATION
HOW TO APPLY
- Compensation is competitive and based on experience. The expected salary range for this position is $53,000-$95,531.
- Employment Period: Ten (10) Months
- Union Affiliation: Newark Teachers Union (NTU)
Newark Board of Education only accepts electronic applications. Opening Date:
5/7/2020 Closing Date:
Until FilledTHE NEWARK BOARD OF EDUCATION IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER