Instructional -Admin - Central Office/Supervisor Social StudiesDate Posted:
Various Newark Board of Education LocationsNEWARK BOARD OF EDUCATION
HUMAN RESOURCE SERVICES
765 BROAD STREET, NEWARK, NEW JERSEY 07102 ROGER LEON, SUPERINTENDENT
Supervisor - Social Studies
(Pending availability of funds and Superintendent's approval)QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
The Superintendent invites qualified and interested persons to apply for the position of Supervisor - Social Studies.
BASIC FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Master's degree from an accredited college or university.
- New Jersey Department of Education Principal Standard Certificate .
- New Jersey Department of Education Supervisor Certificate (Preferred).
- Valid New Jersey Social Studies Teaching Certificate.
- Minimum of three (3) years of successful experience in school or district level administration.
- Minimum of four (4) years successful experience in teaching Social Studies.
- Knowledge of New Jersey Student Learning Standards for curriculum, assessment and instruction.
- Demonstrated knowledge of subject specialty and effective teaching methods.
- Ability to plan, organize and administer a District-level professional development program.
- Ability to maintain a positive learning environment.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Required criminal history background check and proof of U.S. citizenship or legal resident alien status. *As defined in N.J.A.C. 6A:9-9 Instructional certificates.
I. Management and Coaching of Instructional Staff
- Observes, coaches, and evaluates Teachers and Department Chairs, and provides ongoing professional development for targeted improvement in identified growth areas.
- Provides constructive feedback to Principals, Vice Principals, and Department Chairs on the effective facilitation of learning, inclusive of planning, assessment, rigor, and student engagement aligned to NJ Social Studies Standards and other applicable measures and guides.
- Monitors all Teach NJ Educator Effectiveness activities (IPDP/CAP), observations, and evaluations) of Department Chairs of Social Studies and Teachers of Social Studies.
- Validates evaluation ratings of Department Chairs of Social Studies.
- Assumes the orientation and mentor responsibilities of all novice Department Chairs of Social Studies and monitors the orientation and mentorship of novice Teachers.
- Leverages Department Chairs of Social Studies, Teacher Coaches, and Academic Interventionists to reach maximum implementation of District approved curricular guides and intervention strategies by providing monthly and quarterly ongoing professional development opportunities.
- Synthesizes all Social Studies achievement quarterly reports from Department Chairs of Social Studies and provide a comprehensive review and presentation at various forums throughout the school year.
II. Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment
- Serves as a lead in the area of Social Studies education.
- Authors, updates, and furnishes rigorous Social Studies curriculum guides, units of study, bridge manuals, and technological resources to the district.
- Supports district's textbook adoption committee and process ensuring all curricular resources and supplements are fully vetted; meeting State Standards and the diverse needs of all students.
- Maintains the Social Studies section of the District's online Learning Management System (LMS)
- Supports in the development of a comprehensive strategy to guarantee an accurate inventory and timely distribution of all curricular resources.
- Supports in the development of all Social Studies diagnostics, interim assessments, district assessments, mid-term and final exams.
- Collaborates with the Supervisors of Bilingual and ESL services, and the Supervisors of Special Education to ensure curriculum guides, units of study, resources, and assessments are tailored for all learners.
- Collaborates with all district Directors and Supervisors to ensure curriculum guides, units of study, resources, and assessments are aligned to State Standards and result in interdisciplinary opportunities.
III. Organizational Leadership
- Establishes and executes organizational systems and strategies to monitor Department Chairs, Teacher Coaches, and district goals.
- Develops and monitors strategies for high level collaboration among faculty and staff.
- Communicates effectively and maintains a positive disposition in all circumstances to ensure an outcome that promotes student academic achievement, staff professional development, and district-wide success.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Department Director or Assistant Superintendent of Teaching and Learning.
: Director of Social StudiesSALARY, EMPLOYMENT PERIOD, AND UNION AFFILIATION
HOW TO APPLY
- Salary: Compensation is competitive and based on administrative experience. The salary range for this position is $98,000 to $134,000.
- Employment Period: 12 Month Calendar
- Union Affiliation: City Association of Supervisors and Administrators (C.A.S.A.)
Newark Board of Education is only accepting electronic applications.
OPENING DATE: 5/21/2021
CLOSING DATE: Ongoing
JOB OPENING ID:607
THE NEWARK BOARD OF EDUCATION IS AN
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER