Open Until FilledJob Purpose:
The responsibilities of this position are to manage and coordinate the day-to-day operations of employee payroll to include analytical and technical work in connection with the timely and accurate execution in completing the payroll cycle. Work closely with Human Resources to implement benefits administration including SEBB, retirement and leave processing. Essential Functions:
- Manages and coordinates monthly payroll processing for payroll accuracy and proper posting to the financial system.
- Schedules and initiates proper sequencing of payroll cycle.
- Generates, audits and analyzes a multitude of payroll reports and calculations to ensure payroll accuracy, audits/verifies work from the HR Department and makes mathematical computations in order to make any necessary adjustments to employee salaries including but not limited to: retro for base salary, retro for extra pay and recalculations of monthly pay.
- Maintains current knowledge of and understanding of payroll functions such as FICA, federal withholding and district collective bargaining agreements and board policy.
- Completes monthly, quarterly and annual reports to various entities including IRS, Department of Retirement, Deferred Compensation Program, SEBB, FSA/DCAP, HSA, Workers Compensation and Unemployment Cooperatives, Employment Security Department/PFML, DSHS and VEBA.
- Coordinates with HR on a variety of pay issues such as new hires, employee authorizations, terminations, and salary/assignment determination to ensure correct pay.
- Answers employee inquiries, researches, resolves and/or refers questions.
- Answer and process wage garnishments.
- Prepare, file and distribute W2s.
- Maintains a high level of internal controls consistent with good accounting practices.
- Assists auditors and provides required/requested information in a timely manner.
- Coordinates with HR to facilitate open enrollment for existing staff and new hires in the SEBB benefits program and annual benefit fair.
- Administers retirement system eligibility and reporting, and Department of Revenue, employment security and social security reports.
- Calculates and accounts for leave usages and balances in accordance with separate CBAs.
- Administers sick leave buy-back program and leave carry over calculations.
- Develops and processes timesheets in preparation for payroll.
- Performs other tasks and assumes other responsibilities as assigned.
- Back up reception desk and district phones.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Some applicable college coursework and progressively responsible job-related experience
- Minimum of three (3) years job related experience which demonstrates ability to work independently, with a minimum of supervision and function in a dynamic, fast paced, continually changing team environment with frequent interruptions
- School District experience strongly preferred with additional emphasis on use of Skyward/WSIPC.
- Experience which demonstrates excellent customer service abilities, interpersonal skills, team player attitude, and the ability to manage stressful situations.
- Experience which demonstrates a high level of attention to, and management of, detailed information.
- Experience which demonstrates strong organizational skills and the ability to meet deadlines.
- Experience which demonstrates excellent problem solving, analytical, and conflict resolution skills and ability to think quickly.
- Experience which demonstrates excellent written communication skills and which demonstrates the ability to compose and proof correspondence.
- Working knowledge and demonstrated experience with Microsoft Office programs, including Word and Excel. Advanced knowledge of Excel strongly preferred.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions:
- Knowledge of payroll terminology, rules, regulations and procedures
- Knowledge of automated payroll/HR systems
- Knowledge of tax laws and reporting in relation to payroll
- Demonstrated ability to understand, recognize, and protect highly confidential information
- Skill and accuracy in arithmetic and mathematical calculations
- Skill and accuracy in 10-key operation
- Skill in detecting errors and verifying data
- Ability to effectively communicate with and appreciate individuals from diverse, socio-economic backgrounds
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Other Job Type (if applicable) :
- Exposure to human borne pathogens
- Lifting up to 25 lbs
- Stooping, bending
- Keyboarding dexterity
- Twisting, pushing, pulling
- Phone interactions
- Exposure to outside elements
Payroll Salary Rate Range :
$25-$28 hour Additional Job Information :
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYERS
Rainier School District provides equal opportunity for all applicants and staff in recruitment, hiring, retention, assignment, transfer, promotion, and training. Such equal employment opportunity shall be provided without discrimination with respect to race, color, national origin, religion, creed, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression or identity, honorably discharged veteran or military status, pregnancy, the presence of any sensory, mental or physical disability, the use of a trained guide dog or service animal, or any other basis prohibited by law. We also provide equal access to the Boy Scouts of America and other designated youth groups.
Inquiries concerning equal employment opportunity or the application of may be directed to:
- Title IX & Civil Rights Compliance Coordinator: Kristin Robinson, firstname.lastname@example.org, 360-446-2205, P.O. Box 98 Rainier, WA 98576
- Bilingual Programs & ADA Coordinator: Bryon Bahr, email@example.com, 360-446-2207, P.O. Box 98 Rainier, WA 98576
- Section 504 Coordinator: John Beckman, firstname.lastname@example.org, 360-446-2205, P.O. Box 98 Rainier, WA 98576