First Student is now hiring a Diesel Mechanic for our shop serving Huntsville AL! Wages up to $28.50/Hour Depending On Experience Now offering a $2,500 Sign-On Bonus!* First thingsFirst: Who are we?
Twice the size of our next largest competitor, First Student
is the leading school transportation solutions provider in North America. Every day, we complete 5 million student journeys, moving more passengers than all U.S. airlines combined. With a team of highly trained drivers and the industry's strongest safety record, First Student delivers reliable, quality services to 1,100 school districts. Why join First as a Diesel Mechanic?
About the Diesel Mechanic Position
- $28.50 per hour based on experience and qualifications (NOT flat rate)
- Now offering a $2500 sign-on bonus! (Conditions apply. Offer expires 3/31/23)
- Company-paid ASE testing and training materials
- Alabama School Bus Mechanic Certification a plus; ability to attain is required
- Monday-Friday full-time shift schedule and consistent, year-round work
- Tremendous career advancement opportunities
- Benefits including medical, dental, vision, & 401(k)
- Paid holidays & vacation
- Annual allowances for boots and prescription safety glasses
- State-of-the-art training programs
- Discounts on cell phone plans, cars, and more through the Perk Spot program!
As a Diesel Mechanic with First Student, you will help maintain and repair school buses to ensure vehicle readiness & safety, while providing guidance to lower-level technicians. Other major job duties include:
Diesel Technician Qualifications
- Lead preventative maintenance (PMs), safety inspections, and annual DOT maintenance inspections.
- Diagnose and perform all phases of vehicle and equipment repair including brakes, suspensions, drivetrains, & transmissions.
- Ensure work orders are completed accurately.
- Assist with mobile emergency services.
Get your career on the road with First Student!
- Valid driver's license required; Willingness to obtain CDL while employed - We train!
- At least 5 years of automotive or diesel maintenance & repair experience or technical school education
- Possess a mechanic's tool set
- Willingness to participate in ASE certification program. Training, testing, and bonuses provided!
- Subject to DOT drug testing. DOT Regulation 49 CFR Part 40 does not authorize the use of Schedule I drugs, including marijuana, for any reason.
We aspire to have a culture where all people are First. We strive to attract and retain a diverse workforce therefore all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status. First is also committed to providing a drug-free workplace. For candidates applying to positions in San Francisco or Los Angeles California, First will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance or Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinance. First is an equal opportunity employer and by doing so we will sustain and promote an inclusive culture that supports future growth for all.