Hamilton County Schools, located in Chattanooga, TN, is the fastest improved school district in the state of Tennessee. Our mission is to create pathways to bright futures for all
students in our community by helping to equip them with the skills, knowledge and supports required to realize their full potential.
We do this by focusing on five action areas in our strategic plan, Future Ready 2023:
- Accelerating Student Achievement
- Future Ready Students
- Great Teachers and Leaders
- Engaged Community
- Efficient and Effective Operations
We are committed to excellence for every student and are seeking outstanding school support and district-wide staff who desire to make a difference in the lives of students. For classified employees who are interested in becoming teachers, we also offer our "Grow Your Own
" program, with pathways to becoming a certified teacher. With nearly 80 schools located in urban, rural, and suburban communities, we are confident that you can find your place in Hamilton County.
The purpose of this classification is to provide teaching assistance under the direction of a licensed teacher in classrooms or as otherwise needed. Responsibilities
- Assists teachers in classroom or other educational settings; oversees, monitors, or conducts classes during the temporary absence of teachers; assists teachers in setting up and conducting various class activities and projects; works with and assists students during class activities and projects; prepares instructional materials for classroom use; copies materials for use by teachers; sets up and assists with classroom technology; assists in administering and grading tests; assists in evaluating student performance and skill levels; creates bulletin boards, displays, or wall decorations; and assists with cleanup activities.
- Provides tutoring or one-on-one assistance to students in basic educational skills; assists students with word study, spelling, sentence writing, reading, math, science, physical education, or other areas; utilizes instructional programs; assists with development of lesson plans.
- Monitors students in cafeteria, auditorium, halls, bus zones, or other common areas; organizes groups of students upon arrival/departure; seats students in appropriate areas; assists in cleaning tables or spills; chaperones students on field trips occurring during the regular school day only.
- Monitors behavior/activities of students and initiates disciplinary action per prescribed policies under the teacher's direction.
- Follows established procedures for ensuring students are safe.
- Performs clerical tasks in support of teaching activities, office operations, and/or other school functions.
- Communicates with supervisor, employees, other departments, school officials, teachers, students, parents, vendors, the public, and other individuals as needed to coordinate work activities, review status of work, exchange information, or resolve problems.
- Attends staff meetings, parent meetings, IEP-Team meetings, or other meetings as required.
- Follows established procedures for ensuring assigned areas are safe.
- Works collaboratively with supervisor, administrators, employees, students, and other stakeholders.
- Attends work regularly and arrives to work in a timely fashion.
- Maintains confidentiality.
- Adheres to the Teacher Code of Ethics as defined by Tennessee Law.
- Provides assistance to other employees or departments as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or GED required; basic technology skills required; general office/clerical experience; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job.
- Must possess one of the following before reporting to work: (1) 48 semester hours or 72 quarter hours; (2) An Associate's degree or higher; (3) passing score on PRAXIS for Parapro Exam.
- One year of experience working with children preferred.
- Fluency in Spanish required for educational assistant in ESOL program.
- Ability to learn and implement a variety of teaching strategies.
- Demonstrate proficient verbal and written communication skills.
Salary is based on a combination of relevant education and experience.
Grade BSalary Scale