Middle School Teaching/Teacher - English - Language ArtsDate Posted:
West Rocks Middle School
(High-Needs School) Date Available:
September/20222022-2023 SCHOOL YEAR
TEACHER - ENGLISH LANGUAGE ARTS (ELA) - GRADE 7
WEST ROCKS MIDDLE SCHOOL POSITION SUMMARY:
Instruct students in the specific area of specialty; help students learn subject matter and skills that will broaden their learning experiences and contribute to their development in order to meet high expectations; communicate with parents; create a classroom environment that is conducive to learning; participate in professional learning. Seeking an English teacher to support the credit recovery program for the Norwalk Public Schools. Should be interested in creating a student-centered and problem-based learning environment. .Need a teacher who collaborates well in a small-setting with a diverse population, is flexible and dynamic, and is excited about teaching. RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Follow the scope and sequence of the instructional program as defined and approved by the Norwalk Board of Education
- Set and reinforce clear expectations and routines
- Manage the classroom and individual student behavior to maintain an advantageous learning environment
- Prepare lesson plans that achieve clear objectives, uses appropriate techniques, and serves the needs of all learners in the classroom
- Demonstrate strong content knowledge of English
- Maintain accurate and complete records as required
- Conduct parent/teacher conferences
- Assess student learning on continual basis and identify areas of intervention if needed
- Keep parents up-to-date of student progress through use of interim reports, report cards, and/or conferences
- Design instruction to meet the needs of all students through both individual and small group settings as needed
- Design and implement assessments that measure progress and use assessments to refine curriculum and instructional practices
- Design clear and specific learning assessments
- Maintain a positive learning environment that encourages open communication between the teacher and learner
- Maintain a positive school community image that encourages ethical student behavior
- Maintain ongoing communication with parents
- Assist in the selection of textbooks, equipment and other education materials
- Establish and maintain professional relationships
- Participate in professional learning by attending seminars and workshops to improve instructional practice and positively affect student achievement
- Demonstrate knowledge of teaching methods, materials and educational practices for secondary school teaching of English
- Experience working with adolescent students in a diverse school setting
- Experience with team teaching in a multicultural environment
- Ability to communicate ideas and directives clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing
- Effective, active listening skills
- Ability to work effectively with others
- Organizational and problem-solving skills
- Prior teaching experience preferred
- Special Skills include knowledge of English education in other countries or project-based learning
- Active 215 CDE Certification as required by the Connecticut State Department of Education
- Knowledge and skills required would generally be acquired with a Bachelor's Degree in Education or in English.
- Demonstrated and successful experience in a multi-cultural setting.
- Demonstrated ability to teach high school classes. Experience with team teaching. Urban experience.
- Human relations skills to work effectively with students, parents, school administrators and school staff.
- Knowledge of teaching methods, materials and education practices applicable to secondary school teaching.
- Ability to prepare effective plans.
- Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the Superintendent and/or Norwalk Board of Education may find appropriate
Days: Monday - Friday, July - August
Salary: In line with the NFT Contract Apply at www.norwalkpublicschools.org Click "Employment" NORWALK IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
It is the policy of the Norwalk Board of Education to ensure equal educational opportunity for all students and to prohibit unlawful discrimination because of race, color, religion, creed, age, marital status, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, or physical and mental disability in the school district's educational program and activities; and to prohibit unlawful discrimination in employment because of race, color, religion, creed, age, marital status, national origin, gender; gender identity or expression, sexual orientation or physical and mental disability.