Company DescriptionOrganizational Overview
KIPP NC is a network of eight high-performing, college-preparatory public charter schools providing an academically rigorous and joyous school experience to more than 3,500 students in grades K-12 in Charlotte, Durham, Gaston, and Halifax. KIPP NC supports several thousand alumni on their journey to and through high school, college, and career.
KIPP NC is building on a rich tradition of academic excellence and relentless fight for social justice present from the founding of both KIPP ENC and KIPP Charlotte. KIPP ENC is the second oldest KIPP region in the nation. In its 20 years of operation, KIPP ENC has been a cornerstone for students and families in rural Gaston and Halifax, operating two primary schools, two middle schools, and one high school. Over the past five years, it grew to serve even more students by opening up a middle school in Durham, an urban center in the center part of the state. KIPP Charlotte, which grew out of the strong traditions and academics of KIPP ENC, has supported students and families for the past 13 years, operating one primary school and one middle school in the largest city in North Carolina.
KIPP North Carolina is building upon the successes and experiences of KIPP ENC and KIPP Charlotte to provide inclusive school environments and an educational program that will enable our students to lead full lives and equip graduates to be future leaders and agents of change in North Carolina and beyond. KIPP NC is engaging in direct, anti-racist work, and contributes meaningfully to the dismantling of structures of inequality within our organization, schools, and classrooms.We're committed to expanding our efforts to embed anti-racism in all of our activities and engagements within our classrooms and schools, across our organization, and throughout the State of North Carolina. All of this will be in a tireless effort to create classrooms that are homeplaces for our students, places where they feel safe, loved, validated, seen, and heard, places where all their beautiful identities will be affirmed and celebrated, and places where they will learn the academic knowledge and skills needed for college, career, and beyond.Job DescriptionYour responsibilities as a Lead Teacher
KIPP North Carolina teachers are at the core of our mission to help students develop the knowledge, skills, and character strengths needed to succeed throughout their education and in the competitive world beyond. As a KIPP North Carolina Teacher, your core responsibilities include: Curriculum Development and Instruction
Help Build a Positive School and Classroom Culture
- Adapt and execute a rigorous, standards-aligned curriculum
- Develop academically rigorous lessons, unit plans, rubrics and assessments
- Use data to inform instructional decisions
- Provide students with daily feedback on performance and plan for individual learning needs
Demonstrate a Growth Mindset
- Embody and maintain school's values, policies and culture
- Develop positive relationships with students, families, teachers and staff
- Establish and maintain strong communication with all parents and share progress
- Show up for critical school events, including: staff meetings, open houses, parent teacher conferences and more
- Pursue challenging professional goals each year
- Give and receive positive and constructive feedback with your colleagues
- Participate in school-wide and individual professional development
The following are required of all KIPP North Carolina teachers:
- A deep commitment to the mission of KIPP NC and an unwavering belief in the potential of all our students
- An unwavering commitment to anti-racism, equity, and inclusion
- Possess a deep commitment to both racial equity and improving the lives of kids from low-income communities; experience working within predominantly Black, Brown, and/or low-income communities
- Valid North Carolina teaching license, ability to seek reciprocity, or willingness to pursue state certification
- A Bachelor's degree in a relevant content area
- Passed or will pass the Praxis exams by July 2022
- Pass Criminal Background Check
- Demonstrated commitment to closing the opportunity gap
- Zest, grit, professionalism, and a sense of humor
The following are not required but are advantageous for candidates:
- At least 2 full years of teaching experience
- Elementary School: Prek - 6
- Middle School: 5 - 10
- High School: 7 - 12 and / or college experience
- Experience in teaching in a high performing charter school and/or schools with a high population of students with free and reduced lunch
- Demonstrated success in raising the achievement levels of traditionally under-served students
- Fluency in Spanish
Educators are KIPP NC's greatest investment, which is why we take their compensation so seriously.
We believe our teachers and leaders are among the hardest working educators in the state, which is why we prioritize paying them on one of the highest public school salary scales in North Carolina. You can check out our salary scales for teachers and leaders on our website at https://kippnc.org/join-our-team .
But our commitment to compensation is not just salary-based. KIPP NC offers best-in-class benefits, including:
- All the supplies you need to do your job well, including a laptop and a high-speed internet connection at each of our schools
- Medical, vision, and dental plans that cover a lot with little out of your paycheck
- A platinum-rated 403b retirement program with an employer match that rivals those in the private sector
- Extensive professional development and support for your chosen role
- Generous time off that includes 26 holidays a year (including a week off at Thanksgiving and all major national holidays), PTO accrual starting on your first day of work, and teacher work days after long breaks
Learn more about our commitment to offering the highest salaries and the best benefits in the state at https://kippnc.org/join-our-team !
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.