School Programs Teacher - Job Description
Academic Approach began with a focused mission: to mentor students while building their skills. By collaborating with over 100 Chicago-area public, charter, and parochial high schools, the School Programs team brings Academic Approach’s curricular and instructional expertise to a broader student audience, including under-served student populations.
As a School Programs Teacher, you will teach a cohort of students a test-prep course covering highly tested skills to expand their post-high school options. Academic Approach teachers hone a diverse set of skills during their tenure with Academic Approach:
- Public speaking
- Commanding the attention of an audience
- Break down complex concepts into concrete components
- Organization and planning experience
- Professional communication and networking in the education/nonprofit space
Classes take place in-person. Apply now for part-time employment with purpose.
- Flexibility in building your schedule while supporting the needs of our school partners
- Competitive pay starting pay at $47 per instructional hour with additional compensation for administrative and professional development
- One Medical membership for teachers, their spouses/domestic partners, and their dependents.
- Travel compensation for school programs that require a commute of at least 30 minutes and 15 miles.
- Meaningfully impact students’ lives in some of Chicago’s highest need schools. The test growth your students will experience may be the difference-maker in earning admission to their dream university or a scholarship that makes attending college a reality.
- 1-on-1 tutoring opportunities in addition to classroom opportunities (time-, schedule-, and demand permitting)
- On-going support and professional development from our Instructional Management team that works closely to coach, observe, and develop our teachers
- Deliver in-person academic and test prep courses to high school students across the Chicagoland area
- Utilize Academic Approach curriculum and instructional materials to execute engaging lessons that provide opportunities for critical thinking, questioning, peer-to-peer learning, and practical application
- Communicate effectively and professionally with Academic Approach directing team members, students, and school personnel
- Participate in ongoing professional development, continuing education opportunities, and personalized instructional coaching
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, inclusion, and educational equity
- Passion for motivating and supporting student success; prior experience teaching, tutoring, or mentoring students preferred
- A bachelor's degree
- Proof of vaccination upon hire
- Willingness to travel to schools for in-person classroom instruction (average travel 3 - 25 miles from Academic Approach’s Lincoln Park office)
- Ideal candidates can commit to at least 10 hours per week during at least one of the time windows below:
- Weekdays during the school day (approximately 8am-4pm)
- Weekdays after school (approximately 3pm-7pm)
- Weekends, esp. Saturdays (approximately 8am-12pm)
- Candidates must demonstrate academic expertise in English, Math, Reading, and Science.
- NOTE: All candidates need to complete a 45-minute content quiz prior to being considered for an interview.
- After the date of hire, candidates will complete ~50 hours of paid training. Training includes:
- Diagnostic test (untimed, graded, referenced throughout training)
- Content sessions covering test structure and skills, Academic Approach core instructional strategies, lesson planning, questioning and differentiation, student engagement, and culturally responsive teaching
- Post-test + 90-minute mock tutoring session
- Options for shadowing and co-teaching current classroom course sessions
All successful candidates will be required to complete a comprehensive criminal history background check and a Chicago Public Schools fingerprint background check prior to their official hire.