Child Nutrition ServicesDate Available:JOB SUMMARY
Provides for the supervision and efficient operation of the school cafeteria in compliance with Williamsburg-James City County Child Nutrition Services, USDA, local, state, and Federal policies, procedures, rules, regulations and guidelines. This includes being responsible for the supervision of the child nutrition operations department and the implementation of the high standards of nutrition, food production, financial accountability and student services as well as collaborating with the School Health Initiative Program. This position is responsible for 3-4 serving lines. DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Schedules work assignments of employees to include employing approved substitute cafeteria workers when needed. Provides training to workers in methods of performing duties and coordinates work of employees to promote efficiency of operations.
- Monitors, supervises, and evaluates employee performance of assigned duties and responsibilities. Performs written evaluations on employees. Interviews prospective cafeteria workers and makes employment recommendations to the Supervisor of Child Nutrition Services.
- Supervises preparation and service of meals to ensure good taste and nutrition, attractive appearance, and proper portion control. Oversees cleaning of kitchen and washing of kitchen utensils and equipment, according to sanitary methods.
- Inspects all food service areas for cleanliness; inspects food preparation; monitors temperatures on freezer, refrigerator and food; inspects machinery and orders maintenance when necessary.
- Instructs employees in safe and proper use of equipment, and the maintenance of safe, sanitary conditions in the work area. Assures that equipment is maintained in good working order and informs the Child Nutrition Services office of unhealthy or unsafe conditions in the kitchen.
- Operates in an effective and efficient manner the computerized point of sale system, including maintaining the free and reduced student information and price points and generating daily and monthly reports. Provides point of sale training to cafeteria workers as needed. Maintains records of students eligible for approved free and reduced price lunch policy.
- Maintains daily records of cash receipts, meals served, and foods used. Collects, counts, and deposits all cash receipts daily.
- Places weekly food and supply orders, verifies for correctness and maintains all foods in proper storage facilities.
- Prepares a variety of required forms and reports and submits them in a timely manner as required periodically to the Supervisor of Child Nutrition Services. Maintains necessary files.
- Plans and implements manager specials daily to meet required meal expectations.
- Maintains required physical inventories of purchased/commodity foods, expendable supplies.
- Submits an annual inventory of small and large equipment and requests for new or replacement equipment to Supervisor of Child Nutrition Services.
- Informs Supervisor of Child Nutrition Services of emergency conditions and requests maintenance work orders as required; takes corrective action as necessary.
- Participates in promotions to increase meals served; educates students on healthy eating habits.
- Manager may be requested to prepare, serve and clean-up meals for special events.
- Operates a computer to include but not limited to reporting, ability to send and receive e-mail.
- Attends scheduled or called Manager's meetings; attends local, State, and national workshops or meetings as required.
- Participates in food serving, preparation, dishwashing and cleaning on a rotation schedule with other cafeteria workers when needed.
- May serve as a substitute cashier in emergency situations only .
- Maintains day to day operation of all Child Nutrition Services operated vending machines. Fills vending machines daily with products. Collects, counts and deposits all cash receipts on a weekly basis. Reports all vending machine maintenance problems to the service company and handles all customer complaints in a satisfactory manner.
- Models the WJCC Strategic Plan Values: Individualism, Integrity, Innovation, Accountability and Collaboration.
- Performs other duties as assigned
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities Required)
- High school diploma or GED and valid sanitation certification issued by the local health department required. Valid Food Handler Card from local health department or the ability to obtain one. Must possess Serve Safe certification. Must have successfully completed the manager training class and successfully performed responsibilities while training as an on the job manager. Considerable experience in school food services or other food service. A comparable amount of training and experience may be substituted for the minimum qualifications.
- Knowledge of the use of various types of kitchen equipment required.
- Ability to communicate effectively and tactfully with employees, school administrators, students, and staff, and must be able to handle frequent interruptions and deadlines to include changes in schedules due to special students activities to include early dismissal, etc. Able to follow instructions and complete tasks efficiently. Must be able to read recipes. Ability to use good judgment and be dependable. Ability to perform the four basic arithmetic operations, to include the use of fractions and decimals. Thorough knowledge of standard units of weights and measures and ability to apply them to recipes for proper preparation. Working knowledge of cooking principles and basic food service equipment. Ability to understand and follow detailed written and oral instructions.
- Must possess a valid driver's license.
Supervises all Cafeteria Workers and Substitutes in respective school. SUPERVISION RECEIVED
Performs duties under the general supervision of the Supervisor of Child Nutrition Services. Specific instructions for specific situations are provided as needed. Receives guidance and direction on matters pertaining to lunch schedules, dining area, or school building policies and procedures from school principal. Receives annual performance review from the Supervisor of Child Nutrition Services