Provides specialized academic instruction to students with learning and other disabilities to optimize their learning in the school environment. Plans, delivers and evaluates instruction based upon specific standards and objectives established by Chesterfield County Public Schools and as indicated in each student's Individualized Educational Plan (IEP). Performs in compliance with instructional program guidelines and legal requirements of IDEA and Federal regulations. Contacts are made within and outside of the school system; may require handling of sensitive information and/or dealing tactfully with others. Essential Job Functions
- Meets and instructs the student(s) in the locations and at the time designated.
- Develops and maintains the physical environment of the classroom that is conducive to effective learning within the limits of resources provided by the system.
- Applies knowledge of curriculum and specialized instructional strategies to improve student performance with regard to standards based assessments.
- Prepares for classes assigned and shows evidence of preparation upon request of the immediate supervisor.
- Demonstrates mastery of content area.
- Takes all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials, and facilities.
- Plans and delivers appropriate curriculum using district curriculum and individualized educational plan for students with learning disabilities.
- Maintains order within the classroom setting in accordance with division guidelines regarding student behavior management.
- Supervises students in non-classroom time (before school, after school, student activities, fire drills).
- Consults with teachers, administrators and instructional/health specialists to determine individual student eligibility and classroom placement and to evaluate student progress. Observes students in regular classroom setting.
- Attends and participates in faculty and department meetings.
- Communicates regularly with parents.
- Demonstrates commitment to improving professional competence
- Assesses student learning on an ongoing basis and alters instruction to meet group/individual needs.
- Uses the curriculum of the district to plan daily instructional activities.
- Ensures compliance with existing applicable federal and state statutes and local policies, regulations and guidelines related to public schools.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Working knowledge of the concepts, principles and methodologies of instruction, learning theory and teaching methodologies for special education students.
- Demonstrated ability to identify students appropriate for special education programs; to develop instructional goals for students within special education programs; design and deliver instruction and assess student's learning.
- Demonstrated abilities in decision making, problem analysis, conflict resolution, interpersonal relationships and planning.
In addition to the on-line application, teacher applicants who are not current CCPS employees are required to submit: Transcripts
- Minimum of 18 years of age.
- Possession of a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accepted institution.
- Must hold or be eligible for a Virginia teaching license with an endorsement in applicable exceptional education area.
Both undergraduate and graduate transcripts must be submitted. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable. References
Applicants must submit two (2) references as a part of their application package. Applicants with zero years teaching experience should submit references from their cooperating teacher and university supervisor. Applicants with recent teaching experience must provide references from principals and/or superintendents from all contracted teaching experiences within the past three (3) years. If experience is not within the past three (3) years, references from the last contracted work experience should be provided.
Applicants without direct classroom teaching experience should submit (2) references from the current employer, including one supervisory reference.
Copy of Teaching license
*Please note: Attachments must be uploaded to each application for which you apply, they do not merge from applications you have already submitted to your new application.
Applicants considered for employment must successfully complete the following background investigations/tests:
Chesterfield County Public Schools assures Equal Employment Opportunities for employees as required by Federal and State Orders and Laws. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential tasks. This job description is intended to accurately reflect the position activities and requirements. However, administration reserves the right to modify, add, or remove duties and assign other duties as necessary. It is not intended to be and should not be construed as an all-inclusive list of all the responsibilities, skills, or working conditions associated with the position and does not imply an employment contract.
- Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) Criminal History Investigation
- State Police Criminal History Investigation
- Child Protective Services (CPS) Investigation
- Tuberculosis Screening/Test