Middle School Social Studies Teacher Job Description
- Do you want to help create a more just and kind world?
- Do you believe that diversity is a powerful strength for a school community?
- Do you want to ensure that every student can be successful and prepared to thrive in college, career and life?
A kind, communicative, social justice leader that seeks a Middle School Social Studies teaching position, with a strong belief that you will prepare students to thrive in college, career, and life. You want to teach students in order to create a more just and equitable world. You have a growth mindset, want to develop the perspective, agency, and urgency to make a positive impact in the world around you, and take actions that promote justice and equity in your community. We Are E.L. Haynes.
A learning community where every student - of every race, socioeconomic status, home language, and ability - prepares to thrive in college, career, and life. Together, we create a more just and kind world.
Founded in 2004 and named for the first African-American woman to earn her Ph.D. in Mathematics, the award-winning E.L. Haynes Public Charter School serves more than 1,135 students in grades Pre-K3 through 12th grade. E.L. Haynes operates two campuses in the Petworth neighborhood of Northwest Washington, DC, and offers a rigorous educational program designed to prepare students to succeed in the college of their choice.
We believe that our most significant contribution to ending systemic injustice is through purposefully empowering our diverse community- as individuals and as a collective- with the skills and the conviction to be effective leaders for equity.
Our mission of student success is inextricably linked with our commitment to equity and the daily efforts of every member of our community to live our motto-Be Kind, Work Hard, and Get Smart. We:
We Are Different. We Are:
- Lead For Equity: We challenge ourselves and each other to interrupt inequities and build equitable alternatives.
- Choose Joy: We find, bring, and share joy in our work every day. We practice gratitude, celebrate wins, and offer praise.
- Achieve Excellence: We deliver high-quality work every day. We set ambitious goals, embrace challenges, and hold ourselves and each other to high standards.
- Own Our Learning: We model a growth mindset for our students. We own our actions, mistakes, and learning. We continually look for ways to improve and produce high-quality work.
- Succeed Together: We value every member of our community and treat each other with kindness and care. We build meaningful relationships with students, families, and each other. We achieve more through collaboration and teamwork.
- A diverse and inclusive community, with more than 90% of our students identifying as culturally or linguistically diverse and nearly 75% of our staff identifying as people of color.
- The hub of the neighborhood. We are a community school and partner with neighborhood organizations to provide our families with comprehensive medical, dental, and mental health services.
- A place where all community members have their voices heard in the decision-making process.
- A school where students learn in a rigorous and coherent PK-12 environment.
We expect students to demonstrate the following skills and qualities in our graduate profile. About Our Academic Program:
E.L. Haynes provides a rigorous and engaging college preparatory curriculum for students in grades Pre-K through 12. Our instructional program provides intensive learning experiences that deepen understanding at all grade levels so that every student is prepared to become kind and curious community members, lifelong learners, and leaders of social justice.
Please read more about our academic program here . About The Position:
Social Studies Teachers work with students at the Middle School level to provide interactive learning experiences focused on essential questions directly related to grade-level social studies standards. Coursework includes World History, US History, Government & Civics, Sociology, and DC History. Social Studies Teachers ensure instruction is differentiated to meet the needs of all learners through collaboration and co-teaching with special education, ELL, grade-level and campus colleagues, and related service providers.
This 10-month, full-time role will report to the Principal and will receive ongoing support through professional development opportunities and coaching from a member of their campus Instructional Leadership Team. You Will:
- Plan and deliver exceptional instruction based on E. L. Haynes' rigorous academic standards, curriculum framework, graduate profile, and student assessment data;
- Conduct and analyze on-going assessments of student performance;
- Work together with other teachers and specialists through our inclusive program to reach all students, including Special Education and ELL students;
- Create a positive and supportive classroom culture and environment that puts relationships with students first;
- Engage families and caregivers in their students' success;
- Lead a morning meeting to build community and for social, emotional, and academic support;
- Be an active member of the school community, attending and participating in school events outside of regular school hours, and completing other duties as assigned; and
- Own your learning through participation in ongoing instructional feedback cycles and individual and team professional development.
You Might Also Have:
- A bachelor's degree;
- Two or more years of experience working in culturally, demographically, and socially diverse educational settings;
- A clear understanding of Social Studies standards-based curriculum and standards-based assessment;
- Experience in data-driven instruction;
- An ability to build a positive and supportive classroom culture;
- Strong collaboration skills in order to ensure student success; and
- Full COVID-19 vaccination .
We Look Forward To Meeting You!
- A Washington, DC teaching certification;
- A strong background in differentiated and individualized instruction;
- Experience in hands-on learning such as experiential learning or project-based learning;
- Verbal or written proficiency in Spanish; and
- An advanced degree in education or your subject area.
We proactively recruit, intentionally develop, and deeply value all members of our diverse and highly talented staff community. Our work environment fosters inclusion and authenticity, supporting all staff to thrive in their roles and maximize their impact on our students.
If you are interested in joining our learning community, please visit this link on our website to start an application. Teaching candidates are also asked to submit a recent video of your teaching that shows a clear beginning, middle, and end, along with an accompanying written lesson plan. Video lessons should be submitted at application and can be sent to email@example.com . Please see more information about our hiring process here.
E.L. Haynes offers a competitive compensation and benefits package. Click here to view our Employee Benefits Snapshot. Spanish speakers and people of color are encouraged to apply.
To help stop the spread of COVID-19, we have reimagined our safety and cleanliness procedures to keep our students, families, and staff as safe as possible. More details can be found here .