Counselors will provide the direct supervision of scholars in their after school enrichment activities and ensure they are meeting our high behavioral standards. They will serve as the primary adult role-models and must maintain a high level of professionalism, respect and joyfulness. Additionally, counselors will work closely with their group leaders, activity specialists and education specialists to connect after school learning opportunities with school day curricula, leveraging hands-on after school activities to further reinforce literacy, STEM and Arts. In most cases, counselors will help lead specialized activities in conjunction with activity specialists. Counselors may also be asked to develop and execute lesson plans in a specialized enrichment activity. After school counselors must be available to work 3:00-6:00pm M-Th at our Brooklyn Ascend Charter School, East 98th Street location.
Our educators embrace a rigorous liberal arts program and a positive approach to discipline, believe in the power of family and community partnerships, and commit to helping students succeed in college and beyond.Why extraordinary educators work at Ascend
Ascend is a network of K-12 public charter schools serving 5,800 students across 15 schools in Central Brooklyn. Our mission is to provide our students an extraordinary education, placing them firmly on the path to success in college and beyond.
We guide our students to think critically and independently, and to enjoy education as an end in itself. We teach a rich and rigorous liberal arts curriculum that nurtures students' natural curiosity about the world. We foster a positive, non-punitive school culture where students feel connected, empowered, and safe to take academic risks. And we design our school buildings to reflect the incredible accomplishments that happen within their walls and our high aspirations for teaching and learning.
To create this kind of vibrant learning community, we invest heavily in our faculty by providing ongoing professional training and support, and encourage our educators to collaborate closely and push each other to achieve great outcomes.
Counselors for after school enrichment will provide supervision of students in the enrichment program, ensuring high quality programming consistent with school day expectations. Additionally, counselors will
Staff and reporting relationships
- Support and monitor the growth and development of the after school team and partners who impact student learning and achievement
- Serve as a role model/mentor to our students
- Develop and execute lesson plans for specified enrichment activities
- Help monitor student participation, skill development and program quality through a student information system
- Reinforce and maintain the school's culture of high academic and behavioral achievement by utilizing the Ascend Learning tools of responsive discipline
- Work with parents, families and caregivers to build and maintain strong relationships throughout the course of the school year.
- Maintain a safe, orderly and joyful environment that supports strong program outcomes
- Work collaboratively with the activity specialists, group leaders, program director, Ascend Learning academic team members, external agencies, community partners, and others to achieve ambitious program
- Actively participate in school and network-led meetings and professional development workshops
- Support other school programs as needed
Counselors for after school program report to the program manager.
Diversity at Ascend
- High school diploma, with some college preferred; current college and graduate students are strongly encouraged to apply
- At least one year of professional experience, preferably in an educational organization or summer camp
- Experience working with middle school aged population is preferred
- Expertise or experience planning activities in the areas of literacy, arts or STEM is preferred
- Strong leadership and team building skills
- Insistence on behavioral and academic excellence and rigor at all times
- Excellent interpersonal and problem-solving skills
- Strong professional relationships, ability to function in a team of people with diverse backgrounds and skills
- A hunger for feedback and an openness to engage in a process of self-improvement
- Alignment with the educational philosophy and core beliefs of Ascend Learning
Ascend is committed to building a diverse and inclusive community, both through our hiring practices and our focus on creating a culture and environment where diverse perspectives, ideas, and identities are valued and integrated into our way of working and educating students. Ascend staff represent a wide diversity of racial, socio-economic, gender, religious, and national identities-opening a window to the entire Ascend community on the richness of humanity. We welcome all applicants who share our mission and vision to join us in our deeply consequential work.Compensation
Ascend offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package.Ascend's Vaccination Policy Statement
To prevent the infection and spread of COVID-19, and protect the health and safety of staff, students, family members, interns, volunteers, and visitors to Ascend's premises from COVID-19 infection, Ascend requires all staff to provide proof that they are fully vaccinated for the coronavirus. This policy is mandatory except for staff with a documented medical or religious reason for not receiving the COVID-19 vaccine.