This position is set to expire at the conclusion of School Year 2022-23, with the potential for an extension of one additional year. Elementary Literacy Specialist
- Do you want to help create a more just and kind world?
- Do you believe that diversity is a powerful strength for a school community?
- Do you want to ensure that every student can be successful and prepared to thrive in college, career, and life?
A kind, communicative, social justice leader that seeks a Literacy Specialist position, with a strong belief that you will prepare students to thrive in college, career, and life. You want to teach students in order to create a more just and equitable world. You have a growth mindset, want to develop the perspective, agency, and urgency to make a positive impact in the world around you, and take actions that promote justice and equity in your community. We are E.L. Haynes.
A learning community where every student - of every race, socioeconomic status, home language, and ability - prepares to thrive in college, career, and life. Together, we create a more just and kind world.
Founded in 2004 and named for the first African-American woman to earn her Ph.D. in Mathematics, the award-winning E.L. Haynes Public Charter School serves more than 1,150 students in grades Pre-K3 through 12th grade. E.L. Haynes operates two campuses in the Petworth neighborhood of Washington, DC.
We believe that our most significant contribution to ending systemic injustice is through purposefully empowering our diverse community- as individuals and as a collective- with the skills and the conviction to be effective leaders for equity.
Our mission of student success is inextricably linked with our commitment to equity and the daily efforts of every member of our community to live our motto-Be Kind, Work Hard, and Get Smart. We:
We are different. We are:
- Lead For Equity : We challenge ourselves and each other to interrupt inequities and build equitable alternatives.
- Choose Joy: We find, bring, and share joy in our work every day. We practice gratitude, celebrate wins, and offer praise.
- Achieve Excellence : We deliver high-quality work every day. We set ambitious goals, embrace challenges, and hold ourselves and each other to high standards.
- Own Our Learning: We model a growth mindset for our students. We own our actions, mistakes, and learning. We continually look for ways to improve and produce high-quality work.
About Our Academic Program
- A diverse and inclusive community, with nearly 70% of our staff identifying as people of color.
- The hub of the neighborhood. We are a community school and partner with neighborhood organizations to provide our families with comprehensive medical, dental, and mental health services.
- A place where all community members have their voices heard in the decision-making process.
- A school where students learn in a rigorous and coherent PreK-12 environment.
We provide a rigorous and engaging curriculum for students in grades Pre-K through 12. Our instructional program provides intensive learning experiences that deepen understanding at all grade levels so that every student is prepared to become kind and curious community members, lifelong learners, and leaders of social justice.
Please read more about our academic program here. About The Position:
The Literacy Specialist will work at the Elementary School to ensure that effective and efficient tiered literacy interventions and support systems are in place to support all students in achieving high academic achievement. The interventionist will also assist in creating systems that support quality tiered literacy instruction. The Literacy Specialist is a full-time, 10-month position and will report to the Elementary Principal. You Will:
Serve as a literacy resource for members of the school community in various aspects of the instructional program, including but not limited to the following:
- Manage a caseload of students receiving literacy interventions, which includes tracking daily attendance, collecting progress monitoring data, and communicating regularly with families;
- Research and implement evidence-based intervention curricula with fidelity;
- Use formative assessments to regularly track student mastery of goals;
- Support the literacy instruction and assessment of students as needed (e.g., participate in grade-level planning meetings, support the administration of PARCC for students, etc.);
- Lead and participate in analysis of all ELA data, including running records, iReady, Fundations assessments, writing samples and assessments, etc. in order to help teachers effectively respond to student needs;
- Work to determine root cause of students not advancing in acquisition of literacy skills and select aligned differentiation strategy and/or intervention;
- Use culturally responsive teaching practices to inform instruction and support other staff in doing the same;
- Set ambitious intervention goals for students that rapidly advance them to grade-level performance;
- Monitor and support teachers in their implementation of Tier 2 interventions;
- Serve as an integral member of the MTSS leadership team by reviewing student data, teacher input, and suggesting nexts steps for intervention;
- Collaborate with teachers and leaders to ensure that tiered interventions are addressing student needs and advancing our school wide practices, particularly the Literacy Coach, Assistant Director of Student Support Services and Principal; and
- Design and deliver professional development sessions to both staff groups and individuals, as needed.
You May Also Have:
- A minimum of 3 years teaching experience;
- An ability to communicate effectively to achieve assigned duties;
- Proven leadership skills and experience;
- Passion for quality education and high expectations for all students;
- Positive rapport with staff, students, and families;
- An ability to consistently and effectively meet schedules and deadlines;
- Experience modeling district standards of ethics, confidentiality, and professionalism; and
- Full COVID-19 vaccination .
We Look Forward To Meeting You!
- An advanced degree or certification in literacy instruction; and
- Training working with students with special needs and/or English Language Learners.
We proactively recruit, intentionally develop, and deeply value all members of our diverse and highly talented staff community. Our work environment fosters inclusion and authenticity, supporting all staff to thrive in their roles and maximize their impact on our students.
If you are interested in joining our learning community, please visit this link on our website to start an application. Teaching candidates are also asked to submit a recent video of your teaching that shows a clear beginning, middle, and end, along with an accompanying written lesson plan. Video lessons should be submitted at application and can be sent to email@example.com. Please see more information about our hiring process here.
E.L. Haynes offers a competitive compensation and benefits package. Click here to view our Employee Benefits Snapshot. Spanish speakers and people of color are encouraged to apply.
To help stop the spread of COVID-19, we have reimagined our safety and cleanliness procedures to keep our students, families, and staff as safe as possible. More details can be found here .