Polk County Public Schools is looking to hire several certified school-based literacy coaches to deliver appropriate teacher-to-teacher professional learning and coaching support in elementary, middle, or high schools throughout Polk County. School-based instructional coaches play a critical role in the success of PCPS students by providing instructional support to students and staff that results in improved effectiveness of classroom instructional practices and enhanced student achievement.
- Frostproof Middle-Senior High - Frostproof, FL
- Roosevelt Academy - Lake Wales, FL
- Lake Marion Creek Middle - Kissimmee, FL
- Kathleen Elementary - Lakeland, FL
- Lake Shipp Elementary - Winter Haven, FL
- Oscar J. Pope Elementary - Lakeland, FL
You'll be a great fit for this position if you:
- are a strong communicator - You have the ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- are a people person - You have the innate ability to work cooperatively and effectively with others. You also have the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with teachers, administrators, staff, apartments, and students.
- know your field - You have thorough knowledge of scientifically-based curriculum and instructional research, data manipulation, analysis and interpretation skills, and exemplary practices in effective teaching.
- are comfortable working with technology - You are proficient in current technology and software and are able to support other teachers in the use of appropriate technology for instruction.
- know what it takes to teach adults - You have a strong knowledge base in working with adult learners, documented skills in designing and delivering professional development for teachers, and experience in providing effective instructional coaching.
- sweat the details - You use your attention to detail to ensure excellence in your work. This allows you to set priorities and work independently and effectively to meet deadlines.
- pride yourself on your organizational skills - You thrive when using organizational systems that help you manage your time and keep your multiple projects and deadlines on track.
Here's how you'll make an impact in our district:
- Responsible for teacher-to-teacher coaching, modeling, mentoring and collaborating to promote a better articulated instructional curriculum for students.
- Coach teachers about data collection, analysis, interpretation and usage; research-based instructional strategies and programs; school improvement, and for building a shared knowledge base for teaching and learning throughout the school.
- Assist school-based administrators and teachers in analyzing school, class, and individual student data to determine needs in the content area.
- Conduct focus walks with state, district, and/or school-based personnel to collect and analyze data to plan for instruction and professional development.
- Assist content area teachers in planning instruction and assessments based on the national and state standards and benchmarks, using pacing charts and instructional strategies and materials effectively, and using data from formative assessments and district assessments to improve instruction.
- Support teachers in planning instruction to meet the needs of all students through differentiated instruction.
- Provide classroom support by observing, modeling, co-teaching and providing specific feedback.
- Help teachers understand state and district mandates and how these mandates support student achievement.
- Provide support for school-based professional development to build the school's training capacity.
- Develop and deliver school-based professional development in content area and instructional strategies for the assigned grades or content area based on targeted school needs and identified teacher needs.
- Provide follow-up support at the school level for district professional development in the assigned content area.
- Support school leadership teams in the development and facilitation of professional learning communities for the purpose of professional study and collaborative work such as lesson study and examining student work.
- Participate in professional development opportunities to deepen content knowledge and knowledge of professional learning communities, adult learning theory, and best practices in the appropriate content area, and to develop coaching and technology skills.
- Participate in district, regional, and/or state meetings to facilitate the implementation of standards-based instruction.
- Perform other responsibilities as assigned to support the implementation of standards-based instruction and professional development in content area, such as: identify literature and resources for professional development; keep extensive and routine activity logs and submit monthly; assist with development of district learning schedules and assessments as needed.
Applicants must meet the following education and certification requirements to be considered for the position:
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s degree.
- Master’s degree with advanced content area coursework is preferred.
- Must hold a valid Florida Professional Teaching Certificate and be fully qualified in the designated content area.
- Certification coverage areas (grade range and content area) preferably align with the experience appropriate for the position at the school.
- Minimum of three to five years of experience as a highly effective classroom teacher is required, during which accomplishment in facilitating student learning gains was consistently demonstrated and may be proven by effective or highly effective evaluations or VAM (Value Added Model) scores.
- Elementary, middle, and high school literacy coaches must be reading endorsed and certified.