Pittsburgh Obama 6-12
129 Denniston Avenue
Other - Position - Administrative
The Assistant Principal supports the Principal in all aspects of administration, inclusive of instructional leadership, managerial responsibilities, and implementation of Board policies. This position is being posted for the 2022-23 school year.
Assistant Principal Salary Schedule (starting at $98, 695/annually)
Secondary Principal 7-12, School Principal PK-12
- Valid Pennsylvania Administrative Principal Certification required; out-of state candidates with Principal certification will be considered but must acquire PDE-issued certification prior to Board approval;
-Leadership experience in Secondary school environment preferred.
- Evidence of successful teaching experience;
- Evidence of leadership roles, inclusive of motivating school personnel to successfully implement the District's Strategic Plan;
- Evidence of creating and sustaining a safe and welcoming learning environment;
- Evidence of creating a of a data-driven learning environment in the classroom and/or overall school.
No Residency Requirement
Essential Job Functions
- Assist the Principal in all aspects of administration;
- Supervise building-level professional and non-professional staff members to ensure effective implementation of District curriculum and policies;
- Serve as an instructional leader that actively participates in creating and facilitating school-based professional development;
- Collaborate with the administrative team to ensure the successful implementation of the District's Strategic Plan;
- Collaborate with the administrative team to ensure successful implementation of the school's vision;
- Evaluate professional and non-professional staff through observations and the use of the District's approved evaluation system;
- Maintain positive relationships with all students and encourage all students to achieve at the highest levels;
- Support the principal with developing, implementing, and ongoing refinement of the school's improvement plan;
- Assist with the development of the school's emergency plan. Support the principal with coordinating and conducting safety and fire drill practice activities;
- Ensure proper implementation of Board policies as related to student attendance and reporting systems;
- Ensure that positive behavior systems are successfully implemented and centered on holistic needs of each student;
- Serve as the LEA in IEP meetings
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge on Special Education laws and 504 procedures;
- Maintain consistent, positive communication with all families;
- Maintain consistent, positive communication with the Parent School Community Council, school volunteers, outside agency members and community groups;
- Participate in District-wide professional development sessions and committees as needed;
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of and adherence to PA school law;
- Regular and timely attendance and visibility in the school community, at times this may require evening and weekend hours, including but not limited to, attending evening meetings and sporting events in an administrative capacity;
- Assist in the monitoring of Title 1 programs;
- Maintain current administrative certification and meet continuing requirements of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
- Other duties as assigned by the principal.
Additional Job Information
This position provides access to personnel, financial and legal records; therefore, the highest degree of confidentiality and ethical behavior is required at all times. Compliance with all federal, local and Board policies relating to confidentiality of student records and employee information is required at all times.
Ability to perform critical analysis and interpretation of professional journals, technical procedures and government regulations is required. Ability to create written reports, communicate technical procedures and correspond to professional emails is required. Effective oral communication is required.
Proficiency using PC and MAC-based systems is required. The ability to obtain proficiency in all District information systems and software is required.
The ability to calculate and maintain school-level budgets and treasury reports is required.
The Pittsburgh Public Schools (PPS) does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, age, creed, religion, gender (including gender identity or expression), sexual orientation, ancestry, national origin, marital status, pregnancy or disability in its programs, activities, career and technical education programs or employment and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups. It is the policy of the Pittsburgh School District to make all services, programs and activities available and to provide reasonable accommodations to persons with disabilities. Please make requests for accommodations at least 72 hours before the scheduled event. For more information regarding accommodations, civil rights grievance procedures, please contact Employee Relations, Office of Human Resources, 341 S. Bellefield Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15213 or 412-529-HELP (4357).