The Fessenden School is an all boys independent day and boarding school serving 525 students in Pre-Kindergarten through 9th Grade in West Newton, MA. The Fessenden School's mission is to cultivate each boy's talents and develop in balance his character, mind, and body in an inclusive and joyful community. For more than 100 years, The Fessenden School has offered state-of-the-art facilities, curriculum, and programs specifically designed to meet the educational needs of boys.Position Summary
The Fessenden School's Middle School seeks a Grade 5 and 6 English teacher. The teacher is responsible for teaching four to five classes of 14 to 16 boys. Essential Responsibilities
The essential duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Teach and stay current with curriculum and 21st century learning
- Attend weekly team meetings
- Collaborate with the English Department and the grade team in lesson planning and integrated studies.
- Incorporate project based learning, educational technology, differentiated learning, social emotional learning, and cultural competency into lessons
- Compose brief narrative comments for each student at the end of the semester and hold parent/teacher conferences in the fall.
- Integrate racial literacy curriculum and actively teach and model inclusion, equity, and social justice
- Exemplify the School's mission and community principles, including honesty, respect and compassion
- Perform duties such as supervising drop off and dismissal, recess, lunch, etc.
- Attend faculty meetings; typically on Mondays from 4:30pm to 5:45pm
- Attend professional development meetings; three 8:30am to 4:00pm and three 3:00pm to 5:00pm
- Maintain regular and reliable attendance
- Maintain current CPR/AED & first aid certification and child abuse prevention training
- Orientation: August 22nd and 23rd
- School Year: August 29th to June 13th
- Monday to Friday, 7:30 am to 4:30 pm
- Bachelor's degree
- One to two years of classroom teaching experience
- Enthusiasm and communication skills to engage boys and build meaningful relationships
- Strong supervisory and leadership skills to manage and control a classroom
- Ability to develop and provide differentiated instruction to meet learning needs of a range of students
- Ability to perform critical thinking, organization, prioritization and problem solving with minimal supervision
- Ability to serve in a diverse community of colleagues, students and parents
- Demonstrated commitment to inclusion, justice, diversity and equity
- A commitment to boys and boys' education
- Successful criminal background check
Physical Demands and Work Environment
- Master's degree in Education
- Teaching certification
The physical demands described here are representative of those that are essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions. The requirements for performing the duties of this position are as follows:
- Frequently required to walk, stand, sit, talk, and hear
- Regularly required to bend, stoop, crouch and/or kneel
- Occasionally required to lift and/or move objects weighing up to 25 pounds
- Majority of work is performed in a school/classroom environment, and the noise level in the environment is usually moderate.
Submit an application through Fessenden's Career Site. A cover letter, resume and contact information for three references are required.