Hamilton County Schools, located in Chattanooga, TN, is the fastest improved school district in the state of Tennessee. Our mission is to create pathways to bright futures for all
students in our community by helping to equip them with the skills, knowledge and supports required to realize their full potential.
We do this by focusing on five action areas in our strategic plan, Future Ready 2023:
- Accelerating Student Achievement
- Future Ready Students
- Great Teachers and Leaders
- Engaged Community
- Efficient and Effective Operations
We are committed to excellence for every student and are seeking outstanding school support and district-wide staff who desire to make a difference in the lives of students. For classified employees who are interested in becoming teachers, we also offer our "Grow Your Own
" program, with pathways to becoming a certified teacher. With nearly 80 schools located in urban, rural, and suburban communities, we are confident that you can find your place in Hamilton County.Signal Mountain Middle/High
is a 6-12 school located on Signal Mountain, TN, just outside of Chattanooga. We offer an International Baccalaureate program to students while being the only school in our district to offer the prestigious IB Middle Years Program (MYP) to students in grades 6 through 10. Although known for our academic accomplishments, SMMHS also provides students with many other experiences including State-Championship athletics programs, award-winning performing and visual arts programs, and opportunities for students to learn and grow through a variety of extracurricular activities.
We value having a school family that is centered around support and collaboration. Our teachers receive support through weekly collaborative content partner planning, department chair and administrative support, ongoing professional development, and opportunities to grow as a teacher, learner, and leader. In addition, our teachers enjoy support from the broader Signal Mountain community.
We are looking for teachers who are highly-skilled in the areas of teaching best practices and subject content and who love kids and working with other professionals to provide the very best learning opportunities for our students.
The purpose of this job is to provide teaching assistance under the direction of a licensed teacher in the implementation of Individual Education Programs for students with disabilities in classrooms or as otherwise needed. Responsibilities
- Provides educational assistance to students with disabilities; assists in preparing, modifying, and utilizing instructional materials to meet individual needs of students; assists with development and implementation of Individual Education Program for each student; assists with the data collection and progress monitoring of student's physical, communication, social/emotional, and educational levels of development; uses special educational strategies and techniques to address students' academic needs.
- Provides physical assistance, including but not limited to toileting, positioning, lifting, carrying, feeding, personal hygiene, or other assistance as determined by specific student needs, to any student with disabilities based on a student's Individual Education Program.
- Oversees, monitors, or covers classes during the short term absence of the teacher.
- Assists teacher and works with students during various class activities; prepares instructional materials for classroom use; assists with instructional and assistive technology,
- Assists with data collection and progress monitoring used to evaluate student performance and skill levels;
- Follows established procedures for ensuring students are safe.
- Performs clerical tasks in support of teaching activities, office operations, and/or other school functions.
- Responds appropriately to students' inappropriate behavior(s). Must be willing to be trained as needed and maintain certification in non-violent positive behavioral interventions and support methods to respond to, diffuse, de-escalate, and control aggressive behavior utilizing physical restraint as appropriate.
- Assists students and models appropriate social and professional behaviors during community experience or work based learning.
- Chaperones students on field trips occurring during the regular school day only.
- Performs tasks requiring reading, handwriting, numeracy, oral and written communication skills, and the use of various equipment and technology in support of teacher responsibilities to assure compliance under the IDEA and to implement student IEP's.
- Demonstrates basic sign language acquisition, communication facilitation competencies, and Brailing skills as needed.
- Communicates with supervisors, school officials, teachers, students, parents, vendors, the community, and other individuals as needed to coordinate work activities under the direction of administration or special education teacher/supervisor.
- Attends staff meetings, parent meetings, IEP-Team meetings, or other meetings as required.
- Follows established procedures to ensure assigned areas are safe.
- Works collaboratively with supervisor, administrators, employees, students, and other stakeholders.
- Attends work regularly and arrives to work in a timely fashion.
- Maintains confidentiality.
- Adheres to the Teacher Code of Ethics as defined by Tennessee Law.
- Other responsibilities may include lifting, transferring, and positioning students with physical support needs; appropriate use of assistive technology; feeding/oral-motor interventions; signing; Brailing instructional materials; augmentative systems; etc.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or GED required; basic technology skills required; general office/clerical experience; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job. Has knowledge and skills to support the PreK-12 general curriculum.
- Must possess one of the following before reporting to work: (1) 48 semester hours or 72 quarter hours; (2) An Associate's degree or higher; (3) passing score on PRAXIS for Parapro Exam. One year of experience working with students with disabilities preferred.
- Ability to learn and implement a variety of teaching strategies.
- Demonstrate proficient verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively with students who have a variety of disabilities.
Salary is based on a combination of relevant education and experience.
Minimum Salary - Grade 6Salary Scale