Hamilton County Schools, located in Chattanooga, TN, is the fastest improved school district in the state of Tennessee. Our mission is to create pathways to bright futures for all
students in our community by helping to equip them with the skills, knowledge and supports required to realize their full potential.
We do this by focusing on five action areas in our strategic plan, Future Ready 2023:
- Accelerating Student Achievement
- Future Ready Students
- Great Teachers and Leaders
- Engaged Community
- Efficient and Effective Operations
We are committed to excellence for every student and are seeking outstanding school support and district-wide staff who desire to make a difference in the lives of students. For classified employees who are interested in becoming teachers, we also offer our "Grow Your Own
" program, with pathways to becoming a certified teacher. With nearly 80 schools located in urban, rural, and suburban communities, we are confident that you can find your place in Hamilton County.
The primary function of the Interpreter/Translator is to bridge communication gap between district/school personnel and English learners (ELs) and family members (primarily parents and guardians of students) using a language other than English. This includes bridging language and cultural barriers to protect educational rights of families and their children. Interpreting:
Ensuring effective oral communication between individuals using multiple languages. Translation:
Process by which written documents are transferred from one language to another. Responsibilities
- Communicates with parents and families through a variety of means (community and school-based meetings, school website, flyers, etc.) to ensure parents and families of ELs are informed of opportunities to engage with their child's school.
- Translates and edits school and district documents from English to target language.
- Provides language support in the target language to families of ELs with questions, problems, and/or concerns.
- Assists new ELs with district enrollment documents & registration process.
- Makes phone calls in the target language to communicate district information to families of ELs.
- Communicates with parents to convey education and school-related information to ensure full comprehension as requested by school personnel.
- Serves as an interpreter for parents during required IEP meetings, legal proceedings, and other special education related meetings.
- Provides over the phone language support to school staff communicating with families of ELs.
- Communicates through the proper channels to keep supervisor and other appropriate personnel informed of impending problems or events of unusual nature.
- Records automated messages in the target language to communicate school information to families of ELs.
- Estimates translation time for assigned documents and to produce translated materials with required timelines.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with staff, families, students, teachers, administrators, and the general public.
- Logs information regarding calls received and maintains detailed and accurate records on designated forms
- Works cooperatively and collaboratively as a team member using good interpersonal relationship and communication skills.
- Maintains confidentiality.
- Complies with applicable district, state, and federal codes, laws, rules, regulations, standards, policies, and procedures.
- Adheres to the Teacher Code of Ethics as defined by Tennessee Law.
- Interpret during meetings including, but not limited to parent-teacher conferences, parent meetings in school, parent meetings afterschool or home visits.
- Operates a computer to enter, retrieve, review or modify data & emails; verifies accuracy of entered data and makes corrections; operates general office/school equipment.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the appropriate district or school building personnel.
- Associate's degree preferred.
- Two (2) years of experience and/or training with serving as a translator or interpreter.
- Must possess: (1) Fluency in relevant target language(s) (2) Ability to read and write in the target language(s) (3) Excellent bilingual communication skills, both written and verbal skills in foreign language(s).
- Proficiency in target language & English, both written and verbal skills
- Attention to detail and ability to multi-task
- Computer literate, proficient with MS Word
Salary is based on a combination of relevant education and experience.
Minimum Salary - Grade 11Salary Scale