TEACHER - CAMPUS (CERTIFIED)/SPECIAL EDUCATION TCHR (CO-TCHR)Date Posted:
SPRING LEADERSHIP ACADEMY MS
*Based on 21-22 Salary* JOB TITLE
: Special Education Co-Teacher - Middle School REPORTS TO:
Principal WAGE/HOUR STATUS
: Exempt PAY GRADE:
Teacher Salary Scale PRIMARY PURPOSE
The Middle School Special Education Teacher is responsible for the instruction of eligible handicapped students as assigned by the Admission, Review and Dismissal Committee within the special education program and curriculum guidelines.All employees of SISD are expected to act with integrity, support organizational goals, communicate in a clear and respectful manner, championing the needs of our students and drive continuous improvement.
Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university
Valid Texas teaching certificate with required special education endorsements for assignments.
Minimum of one-year student teaching and approved internshipSPECIAL KNOWLEDGE/SKILLS:
MAJOR REPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Knowledge of special needs of students in assigned area
- Knowledge of Admission, Review, and Dismissal (AD) Committee process and individual Education Plan (IEP) goal setting process and implementation
- General knowledge of curriculum and instruction
- Implements instructional program.
- Utilizes knowledge of learning styles and modalities.
- Correlates Individual Education Plans with regular education curriculum guides.
- Requisitions materials, equipment and supplies needed for implementation.
- Serves as a member of the Admission, Review and Dismissal/Individual Education Plan Committee.
- Administers criterion-referenced testing and recommends appropriate goals and objectives based on results.
- Participates in placement decisions based on educational, sociological and physiological data presented to the committee.
- Assists regular school personnel in providing an appropriate educational environment for students included in the general education classroom.
- Establishes new objectives based on the findings of the appraisal team to be presented as recommendations to the ARD committee.
- Redesigns curriculum to suit new objectives.
- Suggests alternative teaching methods.
- Provides alternative teaching methods.
- Serves as a co-teacher or in class support for a specific subject area as appropriate.
- Assesses relation between student performance and disabling condition.
- Provides remedial or tutorial assistance to students.
- Utilizes the special education staff and coordinates input to meet the needs of each special education child.
- Requests and coordinates the available special services of the District as needed.
- Establishes frequent communication and cooperation with the student's family to facilitate the environmental changes necessary to premeditate learning and/or behavioral changes.
- Maintains confidential records of assigned students and completes end-of-year reports and other evaluations.
- Fulfills the campus duties as assigned to other teacher's subjects only to the program needs of the special education child.
- Complies with the position description of the regular classroom teacher as applies to special education students in co-teach or in-class support situations.
- Performs other appropriate duties as assigned by the principal.
Maintain emotional control under stress. Frequent standing, stooping, bending, kneeling, pushing, and pulling, move small stacks of textbooks, media equipment, desks, and other classroom or adaptive equipment. May be required to lift or position students with physical disabilities; control behavior through physical restraint; and assist non-ambulatory students. Exposure to biological hazards.
The foregoing statements describe the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and are not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties that may be assigned or skills that may be required.