Administrative Support Services/Public Affairs OfficerDate Posted:
July/20222022-2023 SCHOOL YEAR
DIRECTOR OF COMMUNICATIONS AND MARKETING
CENTRAL OFFICE (Norwalk City Hall)
CLOSING DATE: Until Filled
REPORTS TO: Deputy Superintendent (Primary)/Superintendent of Schools (Secondary) PRIMARY FUNCTIONS:
The Director of Communications and Marketing will be a proactive leader in the organization responsible for all Norwalk Public Schools' internal and external communication, media relations, and marketing strategy. Responsibilities include strategic communications design and execution. This position will support the development and implementation of a multi-year plan that is focused on promoting the district and its schools to a diverse set of stakeholders. DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop an annual strategic communications plan with metrics and established goals - utilizing both traditional and new media - to help the organization meet strategic goals
- Serve as lead role working with the relevant departments on annual strategic communications plan execution
- Establish Districtwide communication messages.
- Outline a plan to utilize all available district and school-based multimedia resources/channels (email, web, video, radio, TV, print, and social media) to share news and maintain lines of communication with district constituents, the media, and other agencies on behalf of the district
- Draft, edit, and distribute content for the Superintendent including, talking points, speaking remarks, presentation/presenter notes, statements, letters, memos, and social media posts
- Draft, edit, and distribute letters, web posts/stories, statements, media advisories, press releases, brochures, and other materials to families, students, staff, community partners, and the media
- Prepare multilingual news releases about programs, projects, activities, and accomplishments of Norwalk Public Schools' students and staff
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues, schools, and departments in support of district's strategic communication needs
- Manage and advise on communications role on crisis and emergency situations working as part of the district administration and schools response team
- Supervise all promotional marketing materials and activities. This includes internal and external materials policy.
- Serve as the spokesperson for Norwalk Public Schools
- Proactively maintain and grow cooperative working relationships with various news media and other relevant town and public groups
- Pitch news media of various district activities, events, and services using news releases, byline stories, pitch letters, and public service announcements
- Respond to media inquiries and assist media in promoting district policies, programs, and special events; consult with appropriate staff to coordinate and supervise the dissemination of information through the media
- Maintain and update media contacts and relevant town and public group distribution lists
- Oversee and review communications software applications that facilitate internal communications, customer service, and operational effectiveness on an ongoing basis.
- Establish a visual assets library for communications department
- Proofread and revise materials for public dissemination
- Prepare and present reports on variety of public information issues
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Perform other related activities as delegated
- Bachelor's degree in communications, journalism, marketing, and related fields or relevant experience; Master's degree preferred
- Minimum of eight (8) years' experience in communications including experience working within local or state agencies, preferably educational organizations
- Demonstrated knowledge of internal/external communications content and strategy, crisis communications, media/public relations, marketing strategy, brand management, event planning, digital marketing, and print materials
- Highly proficient and productive writing skills required
- Highly developed strategic thinking and execution skills for the management of complex projects
- Independent, entrepreneurial, and excellent problem solver
- Bilingual/biliterate in Spanish (desired)
- Highly flexible and adaptive work style with the ability to work irregular hours and prioritize among competing demands
- Ability to meet deadlines, take initiative, and make sound decisions under pressure
- Must be computer proficient with Microsoft and Google office suites
- Experience/knowledge in social media and digital communications best practices
- Ability to deal effectively, fairly, and courteously with all people in a variety of environments
- Natural ability to collaborate and build relationships with multiple stakeholders, both internally and externally
- Demonstrated commitment to urban public education and the district's strategic direction
None SALARY AND TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Twelve-month work year; non-bargaining salary commensurate with education and experience with a salary range of $125,000 to $130,000 UNION AFFILIATION
: None APPLICATION PROCEDURE:
To be considered, all internal and external applicants must fully complete a Norwalk Public Schools' online application. To apply, please visit www.norwalps.org/applynow
and follow the appropriate link. Norwalk Public Schools (Norwalk, Connecticut) is a diverse community of educators and approximately 11,000 students attending 21 distinctive magnet, community, and neighborhood schools, located in the coastal city of Norwalk, Connecticut. We are committed to being a leader in innovative education, cultivating equity and excellence for all of our students, closing the opportunity gaps, and preparing students for life, college, career, and success. NPS recruits and selects diverse professionals, who are committed to developing students' individual, academic, social, and emotional capacities and growth within the classroom and beyond.
Highly talented and qualified candidates with a passion for urban education, a commitment to our Norwalk students, families, and community are strongly encouraged to apply immediately! Why Should You Choose Norwalk Public Schools?
Norwalk Public Schools is seeking excellent candidates and wants to provide the best experience for you. We have put together a comprehensive package of benefits and incentives, including:
- Career growth opportunities
- Rich health care plan
- Professional development
Diversity Among Us
Norwalk Public Schools is a diverse community of scholars and educators.
Position Subject to Available Funding
An Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, M/FN/D Apply at www.norwalkpublicschools.org
Click "Employment" NORWALK IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
It is the policy of the Norwalk Board of Education to ensure equal educational opportunity for all students and to prohibit unlawful discrimination because of race, color, religion, creed, age, marital status, national origin, gender, sexual preference, or physical and mental disability in the school district's educational program and activities; and to prohibit unlawful discrimination in employment because of race, color, religion, creed, age, marital status, national origin, gender; gender identity or expression, sexual preference or physical and mental disability.