This position is a 1.0 FTE (7.5hrs/9mo) and is at Mill Creek Middle School.
Mill Creek Middle School, located in the heart of the Kent valley, serves a diverse population of approximately 850 students in the 7 th and 8 th grades. The campus offers a wide range of academic and extra-curricular activities in a state-of-the-art, technology-rich facility. Rigorous instruction is provided at all levels of the curriculum. English Language Learners and special education students receive needed support services. We have a one-to-one technology environment where every student has a laptop, providing anytime, anywhere learning. The Mill Creek staff is an outstanding group of professionals who strive to meet the unique needs of our students and their families. ASSIGNMENT:
This position will be responsible for teaching health and fitness education to secondary students. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
: This continuing position is part of the KEA bargaining unit. REQUIRED QUALIFICATION:
- Appropriate Washington State certification with a health and fitness education endorsement required and must be on file prior to beginning work.
- Major in physical education
- ELL endorsement
- Experience working with secondary school students
- Must maintain positive learning environment and have ability to relate to all students, parents, and colleagues
- Must be a team player with excellent management and communication skills
- Must be willing to share professional skills with other staff members
- Must have experience with or willingness to participate in integrated programs and/or team teaching
- Knowledge and/or training in balanced literacy, whole language/integrated curriculum, differentiated instruction, assessment tools and techniques, EALRs, constructivist mathematics, inquiry based science and social studies, cooperative learning, student learning styles, positive discipline and multicultural education
- The willingness or qualifications of an applicant to coach or supervise activities and/or sports in addition to his/her teaching responsibilities will be considered.
- Ability to exhibit multicultural and ethnic understanding and sensitivity with the ability to communicate effectively with all cultural groups in the school community
- Experience working with a diverse student population and the specific school demographics
- Desired teacher characteristics are: flexibility; ability to organize ideas, time and materials to accomplish goals; enthusiasm; ability to express ideas clearly and understand concepts being discussed; ability to learn new ideas and skills; ability and willingness to develop favorable relationships with students; knowledge of current approaches to teaching; and willingness to model behavior deemed appropriate by the school district and the community.