The Integrated Arts Academy is seeking a passionate and energetic K-5 classroom teacher to join a school committed to high levels of achievement for all students.
The mission of the Integrated Arts Academy at H.O. Wheeler is to explore academic knowledge through intentional art experiences.
Our richly diverse community collaborates and celebrates the world through meaningful learning and creative self-expression as we prepare students for success in the 21st Century. Arts integration is defined as an approach to teaching in which students construct and demonstrate understanding through an art form. Students engage in a creative process that connects an art form and another subject area and meets evolving objectives in both.
Burlington is a vibrant, picturesque community on Lake Champlain and the most culturally diverse city in Vermont. Burlington has an international airport and is in close proximity to a number of large cities, including Montreal (90 minutes away by car), Boston (45 minutes by air), and New York City (one hour by air). With our excellent school system, parks, and Lake Champlain, and local ski mountains within an hour's drive, it is not surprising that Burlington routinely finds itself on the "best places in the country to raise children" lists.QUALIFICATIONS INCLUDE:
- Licensed or eligible for Vermont Educators License.
- Endorsement in elementary music or eligible for Vermont Provisional License.
- Documented NCLB Highly Qualified Teacher status.
- Eligible to work in the United States without sponsorship.
- Understanding of cultural Competency (as explained through Essay 1 in SchoolSpring)
- Experience teaching music at the elementary school level
- Familiarity with integrated technology as a learning tool
- Knowledge of best practices regarding frameworks of student behavioral support (e.g, PBIS, Responsive Classroom, Developmental Designs, Positive Discipline)
- Knowledge of and experience with recognized elementary music teaching methodologies (e.g. Orff, Kodaly, Feierabend, Music Learning Theory)
Preferred Attributes :
- Training and/or experience with English Language Learners and implementing inclusion practices
- Experience in a Professional Learning Community, Critical Friends Group, or other best practice model of professional collaboration
- Evidence of engaging with parents, faculty, students, and community to extend and expand musical opportunities
- Experience designing and directing large-scale performances/concerts
- Ongoing post-graduate educational coursework/training
As per the Master Agreement between the Burlington Board of School Commissioners and the Burlington Education Association.Primary Location:
Integrated Arts Academy at HO Wheeler School Salary Range:
per CBA - per CBA / Per Year Shift Type: