Drivers Education Instructor
Office of K12 and Gifted Programs
Classified - Position - Drivers Ed InstrJob Number
3700198947Start Date Open Date
05/13/2022Closing Date GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES
The position is responsible for working as a team of paraprofessionals teaching behind the wheel driver education. This involves providing instruction in several aspects of the behind the wheel driving experience including, residential and city driving, intersections and right of way rules, lane changing, interstate, parking etc.ESSENTIAL TASKS
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Confer with the Teacher (Behind the Wheel) in regard to in-car problems and administering final driving tests.
- Road test students and issue a 180 day temporary license.
- Update and prepare paperwork as necessary for student registration.
- Collect registration fees from students registering in the program at the beginning of each session.
- Review new laws and requirements for licensing students.
- Design routes that consist of practicing the skills that are to be achieved each day.
- Design plans for each individual student progress and level of performance.
- Provide all information to the students regarding the process, requirements, and dates for registration.
- Provide copies of the registration schedule to be posted at the assigned school.
- Collect parent permission forms and verify that all signatures have been provided for the parent and student; create a list of parents requesting that the student receive a license upon completion of the course.
- Ensure that the student driver has a valid Virginia learner's permit when operating the vehicle.
- Track the attendance of all students enrolled in each session.
- Document and evaluate each student's performance each day and inform students of their progress; suggest some goals to work on at home with their parent(s).
- Rate each student's individual driving card, making appropriate remarks in the comment section and send progress reports home as needed.
- Maintain all necessary information regarding the student's driving card.
- Move cars to the assigned location at the school.
- Check and maintain safety of the road and car you will be using.
- Ensure that each vehicle has a valid inspection sticker and license plates.
- Ensure that all assigned vehicles are scheduled for maintenance checks and that the car is properly maintained i.e., washing the car, cleaning windshields, etc.
- Ensure the proper use of safety restraints by all persons occupying the vehicle.
- Participate in in-service programs as assigned.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating laws pertaining to behind the wheel instruction, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write reports and correspondence and maintain a high level of ethical behavior and confidentiality when dealing with student records. Ability to exhibit good reaction time for assisting student drivers in steering or breaking to avoid accidents; ability to understand and follow written and oral instructions; ability to control self and others in stressful situations; must be articulate, alert, and knowledgeable with a strong desire to work with young people; must be good managers and disciplinarians. EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
High School Diploma; Certificate of Completion: 96 hours of driver education classroom instruction and Behind the Wheel (B-T-W) training. A comparable amount of training and experience may be substituted for the minimum qualifications.SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS
HOW TO APPLY
- Possession of a valid Virginia driver's license.
- Must have a three year driving record upon which the Department of Motor Vehicles has taken no corrective action immediately prior to approval as a teaching paraprofessional. Four years of driving experience.
Please see "Job Posting Link" below for a complete job description.
External Applicants: If you are interested in applying for this position, you must create an account. Please select "Login and Apply" from the bottom of this posting. After creating an account, please login, complete the online application, and apply for this job.
Eligible Internal Applicants: Follow these instructions to complete a transfer application. After creating an account, please complete the application and apply for this job.Reports To
Principal/DesigneeFull Time or Part Time?
Full TimeJob Posting Link
https://www.vbschools.com/UserFiles/Servers/Server_78010/File/Employment/Apply%20Now/Resources/Job%20titles/Drivers%20Ed%20Instructor.pdfSalary Range: From/To
Unified Experience-Based Step Pay Scale: Grade 8
Salary will be based on creditable years of full-time, verified work experience. Entry Level salary will be awarded at the time of hire. Upon the return of the Employment Verification Forms from the candidate's current and previous employers, the salary will be adjusted if creditable full-time experience is confirmed.
VBCPS offers a full range of benefits including health insurance, paid life insurance, paid sick/annual leave, tuition reimbursement, professional development and membership in the Virginia Retirement System.FTE
2022-2023Additional Job Information
A minimum of three references are required in the reference section of your application. One of the three must be a current or most recent former supervisor.
Virginia Beach City Public Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation/gender identity, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, disability, marital status, age, genetic information or veteran status in its programs and activities. (Reference: School Board Policies 2-33, 4-4, 4-6)
To seek resolution of grievances resulting from alleged discrimination or to report violations of these policies, please contact the Chief Human Resources Officer at (757) 263-1133, 2512 George Mason Drive, Municipal Center, Building 6, Virginia Beach, VA, 23456.
Alternative formats of this application which may include taped, Braille, or large print materials are available upon request for individuals with disabilities. Call or write the Department of Human Resources, Virginia Beach City Public Schools, 2512 George Mason Drive, P.O. Box 6038, Virginia Beach, VA 23456-0038. Telephone: (757) 263-1133 (voice); (757) 263-1240 (TDD) or email at: email@example.com.