Job Description / Essential Elements:
PAJARO VALLEY UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT
Position: Coordinator of Site Academics, Accountability and Instruction
Department: Educational Services FLSA: Exempt
Reports To: Assistant Superintendent
The Coordinator of Academics and Instruction assists the principal in administering, monitoring and implementing the school wide reform initiatives. Provides leadership to the staff and collaborates with fellow administrators in assuring effective and challenging curriculum and instructional practices that are ongoing in all classrooms; guides the staff in the process of using relevant data to arrive at informed choices in making and adjusting instructional decisions and practices; and assists the principal in administration and supervising the instructional program by assisting teachers in their classrooms through demonstrating, modeling, peer observations and discussions of student work along with technical assistance provided when applicable.
NATURE AND SCOPE
The Coordinator of Academics and Instruction assists the Principal in administering and supervising the academic reform process as outlined in the Single Plan for Student Achievement, English Learner Master Plan, Coordinated Compliance Review and any other state, federal and PVUSD mandates and or guidelines. The Coordinator of Academics and Instruction participates on the site's leadership team and as well as PVUSD leadership meetings.
This position requires a combination of leadership and professional-level skills as a content instructional leader and knowledge of and trained in the data team process that leads to improved student achievement at the school site.
ESSENTIAL TYPES OF DUTIES Duties may include but are not limited to the following:
• Makes recommendations to the Principal concerning reform measures as defined by NCLB and in some cases, underperforming school guidelines
• Works with the School Leadership and data teams to provide optimal articulation of curriculum and instructional programs
• Meets with teachers in small groups, curriculum teams, departments and/or grade levels and/or individually to support instructional programs
• Makes recommendations to the administrative team, the leadership team, parents, students and staff concerning instructional goals, interventions and assessment issues.
• Provides leadership and professional development to staff in the development of curriculum, lesson planning, assessments and other instructional activities.
• Assists the Principal in gathering, analyzing and archiving student assessment data to identify areas needing improvement, works with site leadership and data teams to assure school wide participation in the school site's programs and activities using the data team cycle.
• Works with the teachers and other school site support staff to provide direct service as well as assure that all staff has an opportunity to receive coaching and guidance towards effective standards based teaching and assessment.
• Confers with the Principal and with school staff regarding effective instruction and accelerated curriculum.
• Assists the Principal in the performance appraisal of classified and certificated staff
• Assumes the role of Principal whenever the Principal is not available
• Works with district level administrators and teachers in articulating the school wide academic goals, curriculum and assessments
• Other duties as assigned
Knowledge and Skills: Knowledge of curricula; the educational needs of English learners; applications of technology to teaching and learning both for students and adults; effective instructional techniques that lead towards successful achievement of state grade level standards; curriculum development strategies, instructional delivery systems, and program evaluation processes; evaluation techniques for determining program activity and personnel effectiveness; principles of school based management and shared decision making, human relations and facilitation skills
Abilities: Plan, organize, direct and coordinate the work of certificated and classified staff at a school site. Assists and delivers the selection, planning, organization, supervision and implementation of professional development and evaluation of staff. Identify and respond to issues, concerns and needs of students, parents and staff. Develop, implement and administer goals as outlined by the District and School. Assists with budget administration. Monitors equipment purchases, maintenance and repairs. Communicates with District and site administrators, staff, students and parents. Reviews and prepares clear and concise reports. Interpret and apply, Federal, State and local policies, procedures, laws and regulations.
Physical Abilities: Requires sufficient visual acuity to recognize words and numbers; ambulatory ability to conduct visitations at various locations within the facility, speech and auditory capacity to speak and hear in public settings and carry on conversation both in person (formal and informal discussions) and on the phone.
Education and/or Experience: Requires Bachelors degree or equivalent from an accredited college or university with major course work in education. Also requires California teaching and administrative credentials. Minimum of 3 years at the site level including increasing responsibilities in administrative and counseling capacities..
Licenses and Certificates: Requires a valid California Teaching Credential and a Driver's License, and an Administrative Credential.
Requirements / Qualifications
*Must have Administrative Credential (Certificate of Eligibility) at time of interview
*Completed EdJoin Application
*Letter of Introduction
*Three recent letters of recommendation (one of the letters must be from an administrator or supervisor. All letters dated within the last 2 years)