Position at IDEA Public Schools
Role Mission: The Special Education Co-Teacher position is ideal for a candidate looking to gain valuable experience in Special Education teaching. This position is also ideal for a candidate who has at least 48 college hours, wants challenging work, and the opportunity to advance in his or her education career.
RISE stands for Reaching Independence through Student Education. IDEA Special Education RISE Co-Teachers work with students with significant cognitive and/or pervasive developmental disabilities. The needs of these students require a functional curriculum focused on the acquisition of daily living and vocational skills leading to a successful transition to adult life within the community. These K-12 classrooms provide instruction in practical academics, communication, community, domestic, leisure/recreation, and vocational skills utilizing a functional curriculum in a general education school building. The classrooms emphasize communication, maximum independence, and opportunities to generalize skills in natural settings as well as participation in general education activities with typical peers. IDEA Special Education RISE Co-Teachers support the Special Education-RISE classroom in the Academy (K-5) or College Prep (6-12) as they work with students in lower student-teacher ratios (often 1 to 3) to support their academic needs.
What You'll Do -- Accountabilities
- Assist in the educational and social development of students under the direction and guidance of the facilitator and classroom teachers
- Assist in the implementation of Individual Education Plans for the students and monitor their progress
- Provide support for individual students inside and outside of the classroom to enable them to fully participate in activities
- Work with other professionals, such as speech therapist, social worker, occupational and physical therapists
- Assist classroom teachers with maintaining student records
- Support students with emotional or behavior concerns and assist them in developing appropriate social skills
- Assistance of daily living may include feeding, lifting and/or toileting in the Life Skills Unit
- At some campuses, school bus riding to accompany students may be needed before or after school
We look for Team and Family who embody the following values and characteristics:
- Believes and is committed to our mission and being an agent of change: that all students are capable of getting to and through college
- Has demonstrated effective outcomes and results, and wants to be held accountable for them
- Has a propensity for action, willing to make mistakes by doing in order to learn and improve quickly
- Works with urgency and purpose to drive student outcomes
- Thrives in an entrepreneurial, high-growth environment; is comfortable with ambiguity and change
- Seeks and responds well to feedback, which is shared often and freely across all levels of the organization
- Works through silos and forges strong cross-departmental relationships in order to achieve outcomes
- We believe in education as a profession and hold ourselves to high level of conduct, professionalism and behaviors as models for our colleagues and students
What You Bring -- Competencies
- Education: At least 48 college hours required, bachelor's degree preferred
- Experience: Experience working with children with cognitive and/or pervasive developmental disabilities strongly preferred
- Licenses or Certifications: Willingness to pursue a Special Education teaching certification preferred.
- IDEA Co-Teachers with a bachelor's degree are eligible to enroll in the IDEA Special Education Certification Program (ISECP), an alternative certification program facilitated by South Texas Transition to Teaching (SOTEX). The goal of the program is for all participants to gain a special education certification and become future special education teachers at IDEA.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Capable of physically assisting students with special needs as required (positioning, lifting, transferring, restraining)
- Ability to instruct students and manage student behavior
- Strong organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to adjust and adapt to a multitude of situations in the school environment
What We Offer
- Compensation for this role is set at an hourly rate ranging between $15.95 years of experience and $21.93.
- Hourly co-teachers earnings are paid out over a 12-month period
We offer a comprehensive benefits plan, covering the majority of the employee premium for the base medical plan and subsidizing the majority of costs for a spouse/domestic partner and children. Other benefits include dental and vision plans, disability, life insurance, parenting benefits, flexible spending account options, generous vacation time, com-muter benefits, referral bonuses, professional development, and a 403(b) plan. We also offer an inclusive environment where staff are encouraged to bring their whole selves to work every day. IDEA may offer a relocation stipend to defray the cost of moving for this role, if applicable.
Please submit your application online through Jobvite. It's in your best interest to apply as soon as possible.
About IDEA Public Schools
At IDEA Public Schools, we believe each and every child can go to college. Since 2000, IDEA Public Schools has grown from a small school with 150 students to the fastest-growing network of tuition-free, Pre-K-12 public charter schools in the United States.
IDEA Public Schools boasts national rankings on The Washington Post and U.S. News & World Report's top high schools lists. IDEA serves nearly 75,000 college-bound students in 137 schools across Texas, Southern Louisiana and Florida and is on-track to maintain its legacy of sending 100% of its graduates to college. Be on the lookout for IDEA schools opening near you-with new launches in Jacksonville, FL (2022). Cincinnati, OH (2022), and Arkansas (2023)!
When you choose to work at IDEA, you are part of our IDEA Team and Family. You will work alongside team members who set and reach ambitious goals every day, are excited to continue to grow with IDEA, and work relentlessly to make college for all a reality.
IDEA Public Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex or disability, in admission or access to, or treatment of employment in its programs and activities. Any person having inquiries concerning the organization's compliance with the regulations implementing Title VI of Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title VI), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (Section 504), or Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), may contact IDEA Human Resources at (956) 377-8000.